1996 4WD Explorer:: Front end noise.

This vehicle has about 105K on it. It is making a constant whining sound that seems to come from the left front, starting at about 15 MPH and increasing in magnitude as the speed increases. It is neary drowned at by road noise at freeway speeds. It nearly goes away when I make a left turn (the type you would make on a typical windy road). The noise also reduces if I go over a gradual bump, where the front suspension unloads a bit. I replaced the left from hub assembly with a used one (fairly easy job), but the sound remained (with essentially no change). I'm now thinking it might be the left trans-axle, or possibly the front differential or drive line U-joint. Any ideas?

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
Chris W.

There is a service advisory regarding front bearing seals ... they can make a real aggravating whine. It was suspicious when the noise would decrease after washing the car.

Reply to
Charles Ishimoto