1997 ford explorer starter replacement

I need to replace the starter. Can a moderately eperienced person. do this? If so, how would I go about the replacement?

Reply to
explorerguy

Obvious question first... are we sure we need a starter? What are the symptoms you are experiencing and what diagnostic steps have been done?

Cut to the chase..... About a 2 or 3 on a 5 scale. Remeber to disconnect the negative battery cable first. Little bolts wont take a whole bunch of cranking before "Ooops" enters our vocabulary. There will likely be one starter bolt with a ground strap attached to a stud on the end. It is common for the bolt to break loose before the nut..... a thin 13mm or 1/2 inch wrench can be inserted betwixt cable and bolt. Winding the ground cable up is frustrating and can damage the cable.

Reply to
Jim Warman