1997 tow wiring harness??

I have a 97 4 dr XLT. This truck does not have the tow package. I'm trying to find out if I have the trailer receptacle/port under the bumper. For the life of me, I can't find it so I'd like to know if it's not there or if I'm just an idiot because I can't find it.

If I don't have this port, what are my options for hooking up a trailer. I heard that the Hoppy and other aftermarket products that plug into the taillamp can be a big problem and ruin the whole electrical system of the vehicle.

Reply to
Linus

Most Explorers (maybe all) in '97 came with the "Trailer Tow Prep", if not the trailer package. That included the wiring to run the trailer lights without a problem, but no connector or pigtail lead as provided in the package (which also included limited slip, but that is about all). The Hoppy or the Ford trailer wiring adaptor plugs in between the plug and socket in the wiring behind the driver's side taillight and provides a "T" connection and a pigtail that ends in a flat trailer connector. The conversion from the separate turn signal to the combined turn/stop used on trailers is already provided in the truck wiring as is the needed isolation to prevent loading down the system. It is a quick, plug and go addition that is without trouble. I heard some unconfirmed stories about older Explorers and the need for an external relay package costing $60-$70, but they are not needed on this model. Good Luck!

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

I recently had a need to use a trailer and make light connections. There are 'tap' bulbs available that simply replace the existing bulbs in the rear lights that have 'pig tails' to make trailer connections. These work 'OK' however the flasher does not handle the added bulbs very well.

I got a 'trailer light' wiring package from UHaul for about $50 that uses 'tab bulbs' and a direct connection to the battery. The 'taps' provide the signal to a small module in the wiring kit, however the current comes from the battery. This kit was easy to install and performed without any problems. The only difficulty with this kit is the connection to the trailer. It is a unusual connector that seems to match the standard wiring harness used by UHaul. It is a row of 'bullet' sockets that does not seem to match anything other than UHaul. It would be easy to make an adapter if necessary if your trailer already has a different connector.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Tompkins

It's on the drivers side of the truck. It will be round and have a red nipple cap over it to keep water out. Mine was about 5 inches forward of the bumper about 6 inches from the left of the car(from behind).

Reply to
JaWise

Here is where it is on my '97.

Alpine