Does Toyota make tow wiring kits?

I can find this out Monday morning from the parts dep't, but I'm curious now. I've got an 02 Tacoma, and I've been using Hoppy wiring kits for my trailer light harness. The second one in 3 years just died. I don't feel like spending more money on crap. I'm wondering if Toyota makes something that'll do the job.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Toyota markets one, but the price is high. The major alternative to Hoppy is Wesbar/Reese/Drawtite/HiddenHitch/Fulton/UHaul, and I think NAPA is the same. These are all brand names of Cequent, and good products.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Sorry if this sounds clueless, but I haven't looked any further than your respose yet. Any idea if those brands require cutting & splicing, or if they're a plug-in arrangement like Hoppy's?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Best idea is to use a make yoru own kit, its only gunna cost you the price of the cable and plugs/sockets. If you have a soldering iron and a voltmeter (and are not colorblind its a peice or cake to install. The hardest part is running the wire which you would do anyway. I admit Im an electrician but it took me around 2hours to wire and install the light sets on my trailer and 4runner. Sure beats paying for kits etc. Total cost of bits was around $60.

Reply to
Scotty

I'm wondering, though, what's in the little black modules that come with the ready-made kits. If something in my trailer wiring fried that module (and I'll be going over the trailer an inch at a time tonight), wasn't the truck's system protected from that by the module?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

On Wed, 24 May 2006 11:26:52 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom" found these unused words floating about:

-=IF=- the 'module' requires a separate +12v connection (fused), yes it should completely isolate the Toy from the trailer.

If not, then it merely combines and re routes the signals/lights from 6 wire to 4.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

No separate power on this one. But it is, indeed, fried. I just went over every inch of the trailer's wiring, checking for frayed insulation. Nothing. Lights are sealed. What few splices there are were done with oil-filled crimps, and then double layers of overlapping heat shrink.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom