1998 4.0 OHV Underpowered

This is my first time owning an explorer and first time driving a vehicle with the 4.0 OHV engine. I have driven everyother explorer engine combination and have found that the OHV is the most underpowered fuel guzzler I have ever driven. I have a hard time believing that this is the way the vehicle is suppose to run. Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Tom '98 Explorer

Reply to
Thomas Rice

I find my 92 quite peppy, considering it's curb weight and small motor. I don't tow my holiday trailer with it, but it does well with my utility trailer behind. Slave Lake to Calgary on a single tank of gas - taking into consideration the posted speed on the Edmonton to Calgary stretch is 110 km/h (meaning everyone does 130).

Truth be known, I don't think all that many vehicles have shortcomings..... these vehicles suffer from their owners having high expectations after purchasing something with the wrong head (little versus big).

These things are definitely NOT cars and anyone expecting car-like performance is bound to be disappointed. However, the Ex can do a lot of things that cars can only dream of. These things are nearly twice the weight of any car you will buy. Contrary to popular opinion, they are NOT rollover prone but on a G pad they will roll long before a car will (simply because physics is physics).

Sorry you're disppointed with your chosen ride.... have a safe and merry Xmas anyway...

Reply to
Jim Warman

The OHV is a little underpowered but it is pretty much bulletproof and reliable. Maybe all you need is a tune up.

Reply to
Mikepier

the hot spicy meat comes off in your hands.

6 live babies 1 lb. smoked sausage 4 lemons whole garlic 2 lb. new potatoes 4 ears corn 1 box salt crab boil

Bring 3 gallons of water to a boil. Add sausage, salt, crab boil, lemons and garlic. Drop potatoes in, boil for 4 minutes. Corn is added next, boil an additional 11 minutes. Put the live babies into the boiling water and cover. Boil till meat comes off easily with a fork.

Oven-Baked Baby-Back Ribs

Beef ribs or pork ribs can be used in this recipe, and that is exactly what your dinner guests will assume! An excellent way to expose the uninitiated to this highly misunderstood yet succulent source of protein.

2 human baby rib racks 3 cups barbecue sauce or honey glaze (see index) Salt black pepper white pepper paprika

Remove the silverskin by loosening from the edges, then stripping off. Season generously, rubbing the mixture into the baby?s flesh. Place 1 quart water in a baking pan, the meat on a wire rack. Bake uncovered in 250° oven for 1½ hours. When browned, remove and glaze, return to oven and bake 20 minutes more to form a glaze. Cut ribs into individual pieces and serve with extra sauce.

Fresh Sausage

If it becomes necessary to hide the fact that you are eating human babies, this is the perfect solution. But if you are still paranoid, you can substitute pork butt.

5 lb. lean chuck roast 3 lb. prime baby butt 2 tablespoons each: salt black, white and cayenne peppers celery salt garlic powder parsley flakes brown sugar 1 teaspoon sage 2 onions 6 cloves garlic bunch green onions, chopped

Cut the children?s butts and the beef roast into pieces that will fit in the grinder. Run the meat through using a 3/16 grinding plate. Add garlic, onions and seasoning then mix well. Add just enough water for a smooth consistency, then m

Reply to
Kevin D

Oil for frying

Mix milk, eggs, hot sauce in a bowl, add chopped onion and garlic. Season the meat liberally, and marinate for several hours. Place seasoned flour in a paper or plastic shopping bag, drop pieces in a few a time, shake to coat thoroughly, then deep fry in hot oil (350°) for about 15 minutes. Drain and place on paper towels.

Miscarriage with Mustard Greens

Why waste it? Otherwise, and in general, use ham or salt pork to season greens. The technique of smothering greens can be used with many vegetables; green beans work especially well. Meat is not necessary every day, don?t be afraid to alter any dish to vegetarian tastes.

1 premature baby, born dead Large bunch of mustard greens 2 white onions, 1 cup chopped celery Vegetable oil (or hog fat) Salt, pepper, garlic, etc.

Lightly brown onions, celery, garlic and meat in large heavy pot. Add a little water and the greens (which should be thoroughly cleaned and washed). Smother slowly for at least 2 hours, adding small amounts of water when it starts to stick. Stir frequently. When ready - serve with rice, grilled smoked sausage, green salad, and iced tea. Coffee and apple pie then brandy.

Maternity Ward Po

Reply to
Thomas Rice

salad, sweet potatoes in butter, vegetable platter, tossed salad with tomato and avocado, parsley new potatoes, spinich cucumber salad, fruit salad Bran muffins, dinner rolls, soft breadsticks, rice pilaf, croissants Apple cake with rum sauce, frosted banana nut bread sherbet, home made brownies Iced tea, water, beer, bloody marys, lemonade, coffee

The guests select food, beverages, silverware... everything from the buffet table. They move to wherever they are comfortable, and sit with whoever they choose. Provide trays so your guests will not spill everything all over your house from carrying too much, nor will they have to make 10 trips back and fourth from the service stations.

Roast Leg of Amputee

By all means, substitute lamb or a good beef roast if the haunch it is in any way diseased. But sometimes surgeons make mistakes, and if a healthy young limb is at hand, then don?t hesitate to cook it to perfection!

1 high quality limb, rack, or roast Potatoes, carrot Oil celery onions green onions parsley garlic salt, pepper, etc 2 cups beef stock

Marinate meat (optional, not necessary with better cuts). Season liberally and lace with garlic cloves by making incisions, and placing whole cloves deep into the meat. Grease a baking pan, and fill with a thick bed of onions, celery, green onions, and parsley. Place roast on top with fat side up. Place uncovered in 500° oven for 20 minutes, reduce oven to 325°. Bake till medium rare (150°) and let

Reply to
Mikepier

yellow mustard

1 cup seasoned flour oil enough for deep frying 1 loaf French bread Lettuce tomatoes mayonnaise, etc.

Marinate the fetuses in the egg-mustard mixture. Dredge thoroughly in flour. Fry at 375° until crispy golden brown. Remove and place on paper towels.

Holiday Youngster

One can easily adapt this recipe to ham, though as presented, it violates no religious taboos against swine.

1 large toddler or small child, cleaned and de-headed Kentucky Bourbon Sauce (see index) 1 large can pineapple slices Whole cloves

Place him (or ham) or her in a large glass baking dish, buttocks up. Tie with butcher string around and across so that he looks like he?s crawling. Glaze, then arrange pineapples and secure with cloves. Bake uncovered in 350° oven till thermometer reaches 160°.

Cajun Babies

Just like crabs or crawfish, babies are boiled alive! You don?t need silverware, the hot spicy meat comes off in your hands.

6 live babies 1 lb. smoked sausage 4 lemons whole garlic 2 lb. new potatoes 4 ears corn 1 box salt crab boil

Bring 3 gallons of water to a boil. Add sausage, salt, crab boil, lemons and garlic. Drop potatoes in, boil for 4 minutes. Corn is added next, boil an additional 11 minutes. Put the live babies into the boiling water and cover. Boil till meat comes off easily with a fork.

Oven-Baked Baby-Back Ribs

Beef ribs or pork ribs can be used in this recipe, and that is exactly what your dinner guests will assume! An excellent way to expose the uninitiated to this highly misunderstood yet succulent source of protein.

2 human baby rib racks 3 cups barbecue sauce or hone
Reply to
Jim Warman

shortcomings.....

Reply to
Thomas Rice

I am new to the Ford family so any help with upgrades would be a plus. What are some things that I could do that would help the engine produce more power without dumping a lot of money into it? I've owned Jeeps for ten years so I've been spoiled by all the aftermarket items. Anything you can think of to help would be appreciated.

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Rice

I have a '96 with this engine, 124,000 miles, and have been very happy with it. I've had it almost seven years now, and I like it as much as the day I bought it.

"Poor performance" depends on what your idea of "good performance" is. I also have a '66 Pontiac with a Chevy 350 engine, and that car will blow the doors off the Explorer...but I wouldn't compare the Ex to the Poncho - it's apples vs. oranges. And I wouldn't trade acceleration for the utility of the Ex. Ever tried to load a 6 foot sofa on the roof of a car? My Dad did that with the Pontiac about 35 years ago. It was ugly. Didn't hurt the car though, but don't try that with one of today's cars...you'll dent the roof so badly that it'll look like the thing flipped over.

The Explorer with this engine doesn't have the punch that the V8 would give it, but I get almost 20 mpg on the highway, and 15 in the city. For a vehicle of its size and weight, that is darn good. I'm sorry that you're unhappy with yours. What kind of fuel economy are you getting? And are you dumping the pedal every time you accelerate? If you are, you can expect far less mileage than I get. Do you use the cruise control on the freeway? I do as much as possible; saves on gas as well as speeding tickets.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin D

ingredients. Make balls about the size of a baby?s fist (there should be one lying around for reference). Bake at 400°for about 25 minutes - or you could fry them in olive oil. Place the meatballs in the tomato gravy, and simmer for several hours. Serve on spaghetti. Accompany with green salad, garlic bread and red wine.

Newborn Parmesan

This classic Sicilian cuisine can easily be turned into Eggplant Parmesan If you are planning a vegetarian meal. Or you could just as well use veal - after all, you have to be careful - Sicilians are touchy about their young family members...

6 newborn or veal cutlets Tomato gravy (see index) 4 cups mozzarella, 1cup parmesan, 1cup romano Seasoned bread crumbs mixed with parmesan romano salt pepper oregano garlic powder chopped parsley Flour eggwash (eggs and milk) Peanut oil for frying.

Pound the cutlets. Dredge in flour, eggs, then the bread crumb mixture. Fry till golden brown in 350° peanut oil. In a baking pan, place a layer of gravy, then one of meat, gravy, and cheese. Another layer each of meat, gravy, and cheese. Then bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Serve on hot pasta with romano cheese.

Southern Fried Small-fry

Tastes like fried chicken, which works just as well. In fact you may want to practice cutting up whole chickens for fry

Reply to
Thomas Rice

slowly to the stock, so that it remains boiling the whole time. Cover the pot and simmer till vegetables are tender (2 hours approximately). Continue seasoning to taste. Before serving, add butter and pasta, serve piping with hot bread and butter.

Offspring Rolls

Similar to Vietnamese style fried rolls, they have lots of meat (of course this can consist of chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp). Who can resist this classic appetizer; or light lunch served with a fresh salad? Versatility is probably this recipe?s greatest virtue, as one can use the best part of a prime, rare, yearling, or the morticians occasional horror: a small miracle stopped short by a drunk driver, or the innocent victim of a drive-by shooting...

2 cups finely chopped very young human flesh 1 cup shredded cabbage 1 cup bean sprouts 5 sprigs green onion, finely chopped 5 cloves minced garlic 4-6 ounces bamboo shoots Sherry chicken broth oil for deep frying (1 gallon) Salt pepper soy & teriyaki minced ginger, etc. 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water 1 egg beaten

Make the stuffing: Marinate the flesh in a mixture of soy and teriyaki sauces then stir fry in hot oil for till brown - about 1 minute, remove. Stir-fry the vegetables. Put the meat back into the wok and adjust the seasoning. De-glaze with sherry, cooking off the alcohol. Add broth (optional) cook a few more minutes. Add the cornstarch, cook a few minutes till thick, then place the stuffing into a colander and cool; 2 hours Wrap the rolls: Place 3 tablespoons of stuf

Reply to
Thomas Rice

Well, my 92 has a SOHC 4.0 and it scoots pretty nicely with not too bad mileage.....and tows trailers well. It's the other stuff that is driving me crazy. Right now my grief is with the cruise control, and as soon as Jim Warman confirms that the switch above the brake pedal is, indeed, part of that circuit, I will have that fixed too.

| > Truth be known, I don't think all that many vehicles have | shortcomings..... | > these vehicles suffer from their owners having high expectations after | > purchasing something with the wrong head (little versus big). | >

| > These things are definitely NOT cars and anyone expecting car-like | > performance is bound to be disappointed. However, the Ex can do a lot of | > things that cars can only dream of. These things are nearly twice the | weight | > of any car you will buy. Contrary to popular opinion, they are NOT | rollover | > prone but on a G pad they will roll long before a car will (simply because | > physics is physics). | >

| > Sorry you're disppointed with your chosen ride.... have a safe and merry | > Xmas anyway... | >

| > > Tom | > > '98 Explorer | > >

| |

Reply to
John Riggs

We have a 92 Sport, with ther only engine they casme with that year. Underpowerd? I guess that's relative. It will certainly go fasst enough to ge tyou in trouble, and would tow our pop-up pretty well, even in the mountains from Phoenix to Cheyenne. Not 65 up all the hills, mind you, but not much under 60.

Of course, I remember *truly* underpowerd vehicles; a 69 Datsun pickup truck comes to mind. Personally, I don't consider something underpowered unless it won't safely merge into a freeway, and I haven't seen many that fit that description (although I've seen a lot of *drivers* that do!). Gas guzzler? Well, it *is* a truck; it's not designed to be an econobox.

It's an 18 year old SUV; it's certainly not on a par with a 2004 model. Our 92 is the longest-owned vehicle we've had so far, and it's still serving us well. It's certainly far less expensive than a new(er) one. It still runs pretty much like it did when we got it (in 93). It looks like crap (paint is getting thin), but is mechanically sound, and insurance on it is actually pretty cheap. It's resale value is about $600, but in terms of replacement value, it's worth far more.

Maybe you're expecting more than it has to offer? :-)

Reply to
Big Bill

Your '92 is only 12 years old, Bill

| >Tom | >'98 Explorer | >

| We have a 92 Sport, with ther only engine they casme with that year. | Underpowerd? I guess that's relative. It will certainly go fasst | enough to ge tyou in trouble, and would tow our pop-up pretty well, | even in the mountains from Phoenix to Cheyenne. Not 65 up all the | hills, mind you, but not much under 60. | | Of course, I remember *truly* underpowerd vehicles; a 69 Datsun pickup | truck comes to mind. | Personally, I don't consider something underpowered unless it won't | safely merge into a freeway, and I haven't seen many that fit that | description (although I've seen a lot of *drivers* that do!). | Gas guzzler? Well, it *is* a truck; it's not designed to be an | econobox. | | It's an 18 year old SUV; it's certainly not on a par with a 2004 | model. | Our 92 is the longest-owned vehicle we've had so far, and it's still | serving us well. It's certainly far less expensive than a new(er) one. | It still runs pretty much like it did when we got it (in 93). It looks | like crap (paint is getting thin), but is mechanically sound, and | insurance on it is actually pretty cheap. It's resale value is about | $600, but in terms of replacement value, it's worth far more. | | Maybe you're expecting more than it has to offer? :-) | | -- | Bill Funk | Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
John Riggs

I have a '98 with the 3.0.

I you think yours is underpowered........

Alan Moorman

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Paul Fix

=================================

Reply to
Alan Moorman

Reply to
Big Shoe

Brake light switch was just replaced, and the brake lights work fine. This is another switch *above* the brake pedal, and is depressed by a plastic finger attached to the upper part of the brake pedal.

110 | >| > km/h (meaning everyone does 130). | >| >

Reply to
John Riggs

Just (finally) was able to get a closer look at this switch....it is probably a valve of some sort, since it has a hose going to the speed control under the hood. Now, I need to pick Jim's or anyone else's brain and see how I can adjust or whatever so this thing starts to work again.

|| | |

Reply to
John Riggs

OK, John... you found the vacuum dump valve. To adjust it, simply hold the brake pedal in the released (up) position and push the valve against the brake pedal so that the "finger" is bottomed. IIRC, the outside of the stem on the valve is threaded (and made of plastic)..... GM used to use a similar arrangement for their stoplight switches... It wasn't uncommon to find that either the clip or the threads on the valve could become worn or damaged and the switch would back out of the bracket whenever it wanted.

Reply to
Jim Warman