1995 Explorer 4.0 OBD code retreivial

I have a 1995 Ford Explorer (4.0 Engine) with an OBDII plug.

It is not OBDII compliant based on everything I can tell.

I plugged an Actron OBDII code reader and it was unable to 'Link' with the Ford.

The code reader manual also states "Just because it has the OBDII J1962 DLC does not mean the vehicle is OBDII compliant."

Having read the manual it states the vehicle should state it is OBDII compliant on the VECI decal. Mine does not.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY A RESONABLY PRICED (I am already out $150 for the Actron) CODE READER FOR THIS VEHICLE OR HAVE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO MANUALLY GET AND INTERPRET THE CODES?

Please post any responses to this group

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Thus far, Dodge is the only ones I have seen both the OBD2 DLC and their older, proprietary DLC installed.... I wont be so bold as to say this could never happen with Ford. I can only suggest that you check along both front fenders for anything looking like an EEC4 DLC.

I have absolutely no experience with dime store code readers so I cannot remark one way or the other regarding their use. There are times when it is impossible (due to various failures) to establish communication with the PCM.... the scanners I am used to (even the SnapOn MT2500) are a tad spendy but reliable.....

Before you drag out the old MasterCard yet again, look.... look some more..... then buy a manual - knowledge is your friend.

Jim Warman

If you have a "95" Explorer, I think that was the last year for EECIV, not OBDII. If that is the case, here's a link showing how you can retrieve codes manually from an EECIV equipped Explorer. Cost will be $0. Hope this helps. The link is:

CRAngelo