1998 SOHC Engine Failure

Hello,

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer XLT with a SOHC engine. The other day the engine died and could not be restarted. The dealer diagnosed the problem as a broken pin on the cam, causing a valve to hit a piston. Does this happen often with the SOHC engine? Are there any special Ford programs to help reduce the repair bill?

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Wild Thing Max

The only program that I'm aware of centred around the front timing chain tensioner. Rule of thumb with Ford OHCs..... if it has a chain, it's "interference" and if it has a belt, it's a "freewheeler".

Jim Warman

Jim,

Thanks for the info, it's good to know their is not a serious issue with the engine and that this is just a spot of bad luck.

Cheers, Richard

Reply to
Wild Thing Max