1999 4.0L induction noise

The 4.0L V-6 in my 1999 Explorer started making a strange noise about a week ago. It only occurs at idle and sounds like someone blowing across the top of a coke bottle. I've checked the air cleaner box and hose and everything seems tight and in good shape. Any thoughts?

Dave

Reply to
dstaffor[SpamNot]

It is probably the IAC valve, as I just had the same thing on mine (see "moaning engine" in previous subjects). You can check it while it is making the noise by pulling the electrical connector fromt the side of the IAC and seeing if the noise quits. It can be remedied by removing and cleaning the IAC, or replacing it.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

funny mine comes from the mass airflow sensor, and only when warm outside.

Reply to
barrythedude - remove yer HAT and COAT to reply

I replaced my mass airflow sensor, on the advice of someone on this newsgroup, and that wasn't it. As it happens, I then did what Vic suggested, and voila - no more noise. I pulled it out, shot it full of WD-40 and replaced the gasket, all to no avail. I have one on order at NAPA.

And yes, it only happens on my truck when it's over 85F outside. I live in central WA, and it's been around 100 for over a week. My truck is REALLY a hummer in this weather!

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin