Cold engine normal idle, hot engine fast idle.

I have a 2001 Explorer with 45K miles, since new the idle its been around 800 RPM. Recently noticed that when starting engine from cold the idle is normal (800 RPM) when engine gets hot RPM jumps to around

1500 RPM and I have to apply extra pressure on the brake to maintain the truck stopped at lights and stop signs. Also when the transmission is shifting a lower RPM you can feel a small jolt.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
Steve G.

This happened to me. I have a 99 SOHC explorer and the engine was overheating and the sped up idle was the computer attempting to cool it off. Turned out to be a thermostat problem. Yours could be something different though. That was just my experience.

JET

Reply to
jtblue33

You are correct. This morning the temp gauge hit the HOT mark for less than a minute and then returned to normal. I am told that its a common problem with explorers.

Thanks.

Reply to
Steve G.

Its common on everything with a regular ol' wax-ball thermostat... from Ferrari to Festiva, and all points in between.

JS

Reply to
Jacob Suter