2003 Explorer Headlights

I'm trying to replace the factory bulbs with white lights and I cannot get the headlight assembly to come out. The owner's manual is not much help.

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
LT

On the '02 models you need to pull up on the 2 black tabs on top of the hl housing, may need to use a pair of pliers, then the whole housing tilts out. wth

Reply to
wth

Thanks, wth. The pliers helped. Those tabs were a bit difficult to pull up at first. Thought I was breaking something. Thanks again.

"wth" wrote in news:4mi_a.131103$o%2.57373@sccrnsc02:

Reply to
LT

What kind of bulbs are you using?

I bought Sylvania SilverStars for my '02 EB (#9006 bulbs). They look

*great*. I just wish they made a #9145 bulb for the fog lamps...
Reply to
JonnyCab®

The 9005 bulb (Silverstar or otherwise) can be modified to fit in place of the 9145.

Check here:

Ed Mann

Yes, mine on my '02 were a pain to get up.

I got some machine grease and lightly coated the length of the tabs when I put them back in. It greatly helped the next time I needed to remove them...

Reply to
Tim

Yeah, but the 9005 is a *much* higher-wattage bulb. The 2002's round fog light housings aren't really that large, and I don't want to melt them.

I think I'll try to get Sylvania to make a 9145/H1 replacement...

Reply to
JonnyCab®