2004 Explorer Frequent AC cycling on/off while driving

I have a friend with a 2004 Explorer with an AC problem. While at idle everything works fine. AC is quiet, cold,and seems to cycle on and off properly.

While driving, at park and bringing the RPM up, or in drive w/ e-brake on revving up the motor the AC compressor starts cycling on and off . The cycling interval is about 12-15 seconds. Each time the AC turns on there is a fairly loud chirp. I am guessing from the electric clutch at the compressor.

He has already taken it to a dealer who says nothing is wrong and it supposed to be like that. I am guessing they are wrong.

Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Reply to
Growler

It is normal for the compressor to cycle on and off. It might cycle differntly depending on the operating conditions.

Reply to
Mikepier

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I know it is normal for cycling to occur with the AC compressor. What this is doing is abnormal. The AC runs normal until about 2000RPM after which it continuously cycles on/off on ~12 second intervals.

Any ideas??

Reply to
Growler

Reply to
bob

The faster the RPM, the faster the compressor builds pressure in the system, so it cycles off to normalize and turns back on when needed. This will occur more frequently at higher RPMs. If if blows cold I would think it is just fine.

Reply to
Jeff

Is it cooling? If not, you may have low coolant or a bad AC cycle switch.

Reply to
Reggie Dunbar

So your saying its on 12 seconds, then off 12 seconds, then on 12 seconds, ..... . A total clutch cycle time of 24 seconds? What was the temperature outside? The only standard test that specs clutch cycle time is to (1) Place vehicle in park, (2) Place A/C in Max cooling and fan modes (3) Hold engine RPM at 1,500 RPM, (4) Allow system to stabilize with interior temp at 70-80=B0F. The times vary widely depending on outside air temp.

Reply to
HerkyJerky