2005 cooling system clicking

Hi

I'm trying to figure out what is making a clicking noise on my 2005 sport trac. It seems to be coming from the cooling system. With the engine on, at idle it will run for about two minutes before making a loud clicking noise from somewhere on the right hand side. Then you can hear the sound of some kind of pump or motor working for about a minute before it loudly clicks off again. When driving much the same thing happens (the noise is loud enough to be heard inside the cab) except of course at higher speeds on the highway.

The local dealer is a complete imbicile and has told me that the noise is simply part of the truck design despite the fact that no noise was evident several months ago. They refuse to take any corrective action even though the truck is under warranty. I am concerned that part of the cooling system is going to crap out before long, but I don't know what it might be.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? What was the difficulty? Otherwise, does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem may be?

Thanks

Reply to
RAC

Maybe A\C compressor clutch ?

Reply to
gordo

I have a '06 F150 SC and the AC clutch is loud. I can hear it inside the cab from time to time. Dealer gave me the story, that is how it is. I got the 6yr/100k warranty so I am not too concerned.

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

No it's not the A/C, it's the cooling system....the engine coolant, you know the glycol mix circulating through the engine block/radiator.

thanks RAC

Reply to
RAC

Why do you dismiss the idea that it could be the A/C compressor cycling? You said it only "seemed" to come from the engine cooling system. The A/C compressor is mounted low on the right side of the engine. Why not turn off the heating/cooling system and verify you still have the noise (be sure to turn if off - the A/C compressor can run in more odes than just panel). To be doubly sure, why not pull the fuse for the A/C compressor. In my opinion the sort of noise you are describing could be the A/C compressor. However, my first guess would be radiator electric cooling fan. I believe your truck uses electric fans instead of an engine mounted fan to pull air over the radiator when needed. Whenever you set for a few minutes, the electric cooling fan are likely to switch on to pull cool air through the radiator. But this should have been true for as long as you owned the vehicle. It is somewhat unusual for you to notice the radiator cooling fans while you are driving at highway speed, unless you are running the A/C. Have you checked the coolant level recently? Did you take a look at the radiator and make sure there isn't something blocking part of it (trash of some sort)? Have you changed something in your routine recently? Maybe you are driving with the windows down more, so that you now notice the noise, when in fact it is not a new noise at all. I've had several Ford with electric cooling fans for the radiator, and they can be noticeable in operation.

Reply to
C. E. White

My '94 started clicking like you describe about 5 years ago. I don't know what it is but it's apparently harmless. I always chalked it up to a loud relay.

Reply to
Bob

Sounds like the AC compressor kicking in and out. Did you try disconnecting the compressor and running the engine. If the clicking goes away that's the noise your hearing.

Reply to
bronzebeetle

Thanks all,

Yes, after some investigation it appears to be the compressor. When the clutch engages it clicks loudly. Apparently the compressor runs evey when the A/C is turned off. Anyone have any idea why? It seems foolish, and I'm sure that once I disconnect it I'll see the gas mileage improve.

RAC

Reply to
RAC

get moisture out of the air

gas mileage will get better , even tough not much

Reply to
Ollie

This has been discussed ad nausea here before. Use groups.google.com and read the archives. Your compressor run in every position for the climate control except off and vent. Several years ago on my 1994 explorer, I had a mechanic add a little oil to my AC system because of a noisy compressor. Two weeks later, the compressor died and had to be replaced. So, your noise may be a sign of a compressor problem. However, all compressors click when the clutch engages or disengages

Reply to
Captain Coleman