2005 Escape Warning

Buying a new car is suposed to be a happy experience, but unfortunately it has turned into the worst nightmare I have ever had. I just pray that my wife is not killed in it. She has bought into the myth that SUV's are safer. We took delivery of a new 2005 Ford Escape about 1:30 today, and by

8:30 I was writing letters to my congressman, state senator, Ford Customer Relations, and Bill Ford himself. I resisted buying it, because of all the nightmare stories I had heard about SUV's. I took the chance that somehow they had gotten better, but then there is the Escape. We were in the turn lane on a six lane section of road, and were in the far right turn lane. We turned onto the far right lane of another six lane road after the light had changed to green. We weren't going more than 20-25 mph, the Escape had so much body roll and lean that I was sure it was going to end up on its side. What makes it even worse is that there was a great deal of torque steer, and you could feel the vehicle wanting to go out of control. Thank God the sun was out and the road was dry, and there were no bumps in the road. Had it been wet and had there been a bump we would have went into a unrecoverable skid, and most likely rolled over on the Escape's side. This vehicle has no redeeming qualities. It is about the size and shape of a Model T. Unfortunately a Model T has less body roll, a better ride, and doesn't have to worry about torque steer. I was so shaken by the experience that I would not ride home in it. I intended to take a taxi home rather than get into that death trap again. My wife drove home in it, and got my car and came back to get me. I prayed the entire time she was gone that she wouldn't be hurt or killed. In college I had a 1973 Pinto, and at the time I knew they cought fire and could explode. I never felt as insecure about riding in a car as I did in the Escape. I had a much more secure feeling in the 1973 Pinto. After this unpleasant experience I found something that scared the living daylights out of me. As I walked to the back of the vehicle I could not see if any cars were comming past in the parking lot at work, until I cleared the back of the Escape. I am greatful that we don't have any young children now, because if I couldn't see oncomming traffic, an excited running child could never see or be seen. I wrote my state senator asking for legislation banning SUV's from school parking lots, and forcing them to outter areas of shopping centers and malls just for the safety of little children. I am a died in the wool Ford Fan, but after this experience, I sure am going to take a look at Rice Rockets. I sent an E-Mail to the dealership where we bought this deathmobile asking if we can put down cash for what we got as a trade, and this deathmobile can sit in the back yard until we can save up enough to trade it. I'll go to the bank on monday to get a signiture loan to upt down and get our eleven year old over 100,000 mile old car back. You can't stop people from being stupid, and if my wife is dumb enough to drive that death trap there is no way I can stop her. But I know I will not risk my life, nor will I let her take anybody in it. If she wants to kill herself by driving the Escape so be it, but I will prevent her from hurting or killing anybody else in it.
Reply to
Craig Shaffer

Chill pal. You're overreacting. Big time.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Did she test drive it? Did you? DUH!! I have ridden in my neighbors, and it rides just fine. I think maybe "buyers remorse" has bitten and you are looking for sympathy?

Get over it. If you don't feel it's safe, don't ride in it. Buy your own vehicle if you want. NEXT TIME- test drive it and don't buy it if you don't like it.

My .02....

Reply to
Gerry Pierce

Reply to
Ron B.

I'll give you $100 for the car as is.

"Craig Shaffer" wrote in message news:n3mEe.24979$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... Buying a new car is suposed to be a happy experience, but unfortunately it has turned into the worst nightmare I have ever had. I just pray that my wife is not killed in it. She has bought into the myth that SUV's are safer. We took delivery of a new 2005 Ford Escape about 1:30 today, and by

[...]
stevie

Wow, Craig.... these guys are pretty hard on you....

We have many women customers with Escapes and would you believe that every last one of them realizes that these things have very different dynamics than some road hugging econo box. I never hear your concerns. They love their little piss-cutters. Read my lips... that stuff you slept through in grade nine science - it works. Physics is physics ( ask your wife... being a teacher she, hopefully, should know).

If an Escape can scare you, I can only suggest that you start riding the bus. You are quite right, you can't stop people from being stupid....

Reply to
Jim Warman