transmission flare when shifting

Have a 96, 4.0 ohv, 114000 miles on it. Transmission flares when shifting from 2nd to 3rd under light load. This does not happen all the time, but enough to have me worried. Seems to happen only when trans is at operating temp, never when cold. Have read up on this problem, some say a bad gasket on the valve body or loose valve body bolts will cause this. I have a B&M Shift-Plus electronic shift kit that is supposed to tighten up the shift. Would it help to install it? I don't hot rod, just want max life out of the truck. Thanks, Jack

Reply to
Jack

Jack,

I have a 95 with same motor/trans. with 121k. What do you mean by "flare". Mine shifts less crisply than before. I have changed the trans fuild 3 times (55k, 80k, and 105k) as I ocasionally tow. I feel that my torque conv lockout tends to unlock alot at around 65mph briefly raising the ending 500rpm. This isn't a shift from OD. If search under "intermediate band" or "A4LD" you will find alot of info from this group.

Ted

Jack wrote:

Reply to
Ted

Flare is a slight increase in rpm's when shifting, sort of like slipping the clutch. A sluggish shift. I put in the B&M shift plus, and it tightened the shifts right up, not too tight in position 2, seems just right. It has 3 positions, 1 is off-unit is not working normal shifts, 2 tightrens it up a little, but not real hard shifts and 3 a lot harder shifts. 2 seems like it's shifting like it should for me. Jack

Reply to
Jack