4wd hi/lo lights flashing

I've read a little about this problem before.

1998 Explorer XLT 4WD Both the 4WD HI and 4WD LO lights flash 5 times every few minutes. From what I'd read, the problem is usually either a poor connection to the speed sensor or the speed sensor itself. Apparantly there is a TSB out on it. I called the dealer and they said it's a common problem, and estimated it would be $225 to fix.

So here's where I might have gone wrong. I took it to a local shop a few blocks from my house (the dealer is a little ways away). They spent two days diagnosing it and said it's a shift motor and wire button, and the parts alone are $391, plus labor for diagnosis and install.

So here's my question - does this sound right? I know you can't diagnose a car over the internet, or over the phone, but there seems to be a big difference here. I told them to hold off doing the work until I can do some research.

Thoughts, anyone?

BillM

Reply to
BillM

Doesn't sound right at all. The '98 Control Trac system only uses a shift motor to get into low range, otherwise it isn't seen at all. It would not report a problem in normal driving, only when failing to shift in or out of low range. You are correct that the likely problem is simply a speed signal issue caused by crud on the speed sensors (especially after a number of years). A replacement sensor is relatively inexpensive and you might only need to pull them and clean them off. These are Hall-Effect sensors that read the passage of teeth on a gear to generate pulses for the GEM compouter to compare front and rear axle speeds. In any gearbox there is a gradual accumulation of fine metal bits from the normal wear and tear that takes place. Some of the lubricant gunk containing fine metal bits that builds up on the sensor end and on the "tone gear" can gradually mask the signal making it erratic or non-existant. I'd try cleaning them first. There are 3, as I recall, and all are mounted to the transfer case.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

Hi I had exactly the same problem a few weeks ago. I got underneath, waggled the wires around the sensors and disconnected the battery for half an hour. Hey Presto, no more problem. I but it goes again now I've posted this :-(

Reply to
News