Series III - Can't disengage 4WD

Dropped my SIII into low for a little while and now I can't disengage 4WD. I can still move from Low to Neutral to High, but only if I depress the 4WD selector (Yellow) first. This gets me to High Ratio 4WD but as far as I am aware, the only way to disengage the 4WD is to go back to low (Yellow springs up). Without pushing the 4WD selector in I am firmly stuck in Low ratio - can't even move to neutral.

I believe there is a 4WD locking pin somewhere in the mechanism - could this have become stuck?

Peter

Reply to
Peter

You have one of the sliding shafts sticking at the front end of the transfer box above the front prop. Take up the floor panel in front of the driver's seat and remove the ring that the high/low lever goes through (3/8" whit size nut) which is fastened to one of the shafts. The pin you mention is fastened to the rocking lever at the bottom of the yellow knob lever, remove the fulcrum bolt for this lever and pull out the pin, then remove the three small 1/4" bolts that hold the tin cover over the shafts then pull off this cover forwards. You will then have exposed the shafts and will see that they get quite rusty and dirty which makes them stick. Just polish the shafts with a strip of emery cloth (you may have to soak them in WD40 etc and tap them to free them first) then clean,oil and replace. It's usually only one shaft that sticks, one that you have no direct leverage on which is spring loaded.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Thanks, that sounds like good advice. As it's going to be a few weeks at least before I can get the time to fix things properly for the long term, is there a 'quick fix' that can get me back to 2WD?

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Not really, you can't properly get any WD40 to the shafts without removing the cover, and you can't get the cover off without removing the rest. You can try soaking it with WD40, some may get in enough to free it, but really, the biggest job is usually getting the bolts/screws out of the floor, the rest is easy. If/when you remove the cover, mind you don't lose the small 'O' ring that stops crap going down the hole for the pin on top. If you've got free wheeling hubs you can run with them in free, it will save you scrubbing the tyres temporarily.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Or simply remove the front prop shaft.

JD

Reply to
JD

Not as simple as freeing off the hubs (if he has them fitted) :-)

But, I forgot, most Landrover types *like* lying underneath in the pissing rain removing prop bolts. If he's going to do that he might as well give the front of the transfer box a crack with a mallet ( :-P ) to see if he can shake it free while he's underneath, but I think it would be much simpler to sort it properly.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I meant this as an option if he did NOT have free wheeling hubs - obviously disengaging the hubs if fitted is easiest - if they exist!

JD

Reply to
JD

I knew what you meant, hence the smiley, and, as you say, removing the front prop is the best option until it's fixed.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Well in the end I just got down to it. Floor came up without too much trouble and everything fairly easy from there on - just as suggested. I now have a fully functioning selection of gears / drive combinations to chose from.

Thanks Oily & JD

Peter

Reply to
Peter