91 rear hatch - how to disable light.

I've asked this before but maybe there are some fresh people here. I want to disable or put a switch on the line that turns on the interior lights when the hatch is lifted. I'll be sleeping in it now and then and will be building a "tent" to allow changing on the ground.

The switch is integral to the actual latching mechanism and I can't get it to turn off by shoving these closed, at least not on the passengers side.

Does anyone know of an easy access point to the wire(s) involved?

Reply to
Michael Painter

Umm, how about at the light assembly? Perhaps there's room to put a small turn switch right in the lens. Or get a mini slide switch and install it in the lens.

Reply to
AZGuy

Thanks. This is a once a year deal. I found the fuse last night after a post and I think I will either just pull it or replace it with a blown fuse and a switch built on to that.

Reply to
Michael Painter

I'll bet there's something else on that same fuse. You wouldn't want your brake lights or something to be disabled. Make it easy on yourself and just pull the bulb.

Reply to
SkyOrDie

There are a lot of bulbs to pull and the manual shows the dome and courtesy lights on their own circuit and a separate circuit from the brake lights as well as everything else.

Reply to
Michael Painter