94 explorer 5 speed 4 Wheel Drive ?

I can not get my four wheel drive to engage...It acts like the push puttons on the dash are not working. How do i check them or what else do i look for?

Thanks

Reply to
KD4PQF

What happens when you push the button on the dash? If nothing, there's a good chance it's the transfer case shift motor - a little motor attached to the back of the transfer case. It has a round canister, looking like a little larger windshield wiper motor.

If this is the symptom, try going underneath and rapping it a few times with a hammer (use a piece of wood in between.) See if that dislodges it (the buttons will work.) You can rebuild it. See

Unfortunately, for some reason,they decided to build that motor Ford tough. :O( But the Little Drummer Boy method always has worked on my 92 XLT 5-speed. Rum-pa-pa-pum.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

I agree with Anthony that it's likely the servo motor. I took mine apart and sprayed it with WD-40 and it works great now.

Reply to
Ulysses