4 Wheel drive question.

I am not that familiar with 4-wheel drive. Any help would be appreciated.

My wife bought a 1995 F150 4x4. We noticed something with the four wheel drive and brought it to our mechanic.

With 4-wheel drive engaged, sharp left or right hand make the steering feel like one of the front tires is flat. Going straight or taking minor turns is fine. Driving on snowy roads is fine -- sharp turns or going straight.

Our mechanic inspected the trucks front end and four wheel drive and believes there is nothing wrong. He drove the truck and was able to reproduced the problem. His recommendation was to only engage the 4 wheel drive on wet/snowy surfaces.

Is this to be expected or is something wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
John Perry

All full sized Ford Trucks will do the exact same thing on dry pavement. You should never engage your four wheel drive on dry pavement, even on straight roads!

Reply to
351CJ
4 wheel drive is not designed for dry roads. what you are feeling is the locking front differential trying to turn both front wheels at the same time when you turn.
Reply to
Falcoon

That is called drive line bind, and if you do it enough you will cause expensive damage! DO NOT ENGAGE THE FRONT AXLE ON DRY PAVEMENT! Engage the front axle only when needed. A wet road is not really a condition you need the front axle engaged. There is plenty of traction. Use only on snow and ice, and only when you really need it, not just because there is snow on the road.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Thomas Moats

your mech. is correct, thats normal with a 4 wheel drive on dry pavement.. you dont need all four wheels driving at the same time on a dry road.. the 4 wheels should only be locked in on off road or snow areas..... hope this helps.

Reply to
jim

Thank you for your replies. Case closed.

John Perry

Reply to
John Perry

I disagree with things ive heard here...

First of all.. 4wd is not true locking front end.. if it were you wouldnt be able to steer at all.

The front end dif is slip and so is the rear.. as far as i know.

I engauge my 4wd on a dirt road like 2 times a month just to kep it lubed... otherwwise those parts will never get used and when i really need them they wont work

appreciated.

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

Unless the diff is a limited slip or locking as in a lets say a Detroit locker, your correct. It is an option on many four wheel drives to have a locking front and rear diff. But it's not the diff that is in danger, its the transfer case.

It's also not really slip if you think about it.

Dirt roads are a lot like snow.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

You mean "Hubs Unlocked"

^^^^^^^^^

appreciated.

Reply to
berkshire bill

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Point taken, it was meant as an encouragement to not use four wheel drive.

Reply to
berkshire bill

Reply to
Thomas Moats

The front end has an open differential in 99% of the 4x4 out there! None of the big three will put a locking differential in the front at the factory, I don't care what the salesmen might say, you may find some dealers who might do it for you?

The problem with the front end is that by turning the front tires you change the traction/resistance characteristics of either side of the differential. Remember in an open differential the side with the least resistance gets the power. So like with an open differential using the parking brake to apply equal resistance/traction to both sides you can send power to both sides.

By the way, exactly what parts do you think you are lubing twice a month?

Reply to
351CJ

The front end operates on different radius' than does a rear end. The wheels on the solid rear end are rotating on the same radii with the outside wheel turning more RPM to do so. The front wheel when turning must do so on two different radius and following two distinct radii at each axle end. When not powered the outside wheel is free to turn at what even RPM's is necessary to follow the inside wheels radius. When engaged, even though their is a differential, that is not the case and the interior wheel making the same turn in a smaller circle must scrub. That scrubbing is called rap-up. On loose surfaces it is permitted to un-wrap by slipping, but not on a dry surface.

mike hunt

Falco>

Reply to
MikeHunt

dunno anything that turns that wouldnt normally when not engauged... like the hubs etc... im sure there is something that moves when doesnt normally.... its good to make the gears mesh... in my own opinion

differential.

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

i have an f250 with auto hubs from inside.. however i can manually lock the hubs on the outside.. does that make them locking?

Please explain this to me im confused

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Thomas Moats

In other words:

The truck is trying to turn the front and back wheels at the same speed... and can't because the front and back wheels don't turn at the same speed during turns.

I can't believe they actually inspected the truck! This is a very common 4X4 knowledge.

You have part time 4 wheel drive, which means you should only use it part time. To get un stuck or while on slippery road surfaces only. They do have full time 4 wheel drive vehicles as well. The front and rear axles are not mechanically locked together in these type vehicles.

So you don't get the hop during tight turns.

Reply to
Clem