94 explorer brakes help

2 front brakes stay on and heat roders red hot why would this be happening and how do i fix has a b s system
Reply to
envirokid

The calipers move side to side on glide pins. The glide pins probably need grease. Either that or your calipers are frozen.

Reply to
Mikepier

If his rotors are cherry red, as he described, he will likely need to replace them, in addition to repairing the calipers. I imagine his brake pads aren't in too good shape either.

Reply to
John Riggs

Check the brake hoses at the caliper. They could have collapsed and are not alowwing fluid back to the master cylinder.

Reply to
jffclmn

Hey,

Just took my entire front end apart (have to replace ball joints). I discovered that the 94 Explorer has 2 "pins" that hold the caliper in place. You can just tap them out with a hammer and a screwdriver, once you've taken the wheels off. The pins have a rubber "expander" in them that makes the pin seat properly, but the pin itself should just slide right out with some tapping.

After you've got the caliper pins out, and the caliper in your hand, use a C-clamp (don't use big lock-jaw pliers unless you're really careful, the piston appears to be ceramic, and I chipped mine) to compress the piston. If the piston doesn't compress back into the caliper relatively easily, it is seized. Likely, replacement calipers would be needed (I doubt you can get them rebuilt).

Hope that helps,

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Use the brake pad to protect the piston from the c-clamp.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias