94 XLT cruise control vs trailer brake actuator

I hooked up a new trailer brake actuator that required tapping into the cold side of the brake light wiring at the brake pedal switch. It also required a good ground, which I didn't have the first time I tested the actuator. The ground I chose was at the dash, and was not sufficient. The actuator buzzed loudly when the slider was moved and after a couple of other wiring checks I relocated the ground wire to a solid chassis point. The actuator stopped its buzzing, and works properly. Immediately thereafter I noticed my cruise control wouldn't come on. Fuse at the fuse block is fine.

I realize that the poor ground probably resulted in 12 volts possibly being looped into the cold side of the switch, but that shouldn't have been a problem since that is what happens when you step on the brakes (to turn on the brake lights and/or turn off the cruise control).

Anyone analyze this differently, or have any idea of what damage might have been done if any - and where to look first? Thanks

Reply to
Craig

I forgot to mention that I have since removed the actuator and tap from the brake wiring. This did not resolve the problem.

Reply to
Craig

FWI - SOLVED. Since this is the first nice day we have had in a while, I got under the hood for regular maintenance, and decided to check all the vacuum hoses, etc. One I never noticed went from the cruise control diaphram through the firewall. Hmmmm. I followed it to a button switch (actually a valve) located above the brake pedal arm, and above a plastic plate mounted to the brake pedal arm. It seems the valve is mounted in a threaded tube that goes though a slip nut. I must have accidentally pushed on the plastic plate when wiring the trailer brake actuator, and thus pushed the tube back through the slip nut far enough to not allow the plate to close the button valve when the brake was released. I applied the brakes, slid the tube down all the way, released the brake to allow it to reset the valve position and

---------cruise working like new. Duh TWO YEARS without! And even the Ford mechanic couldn't tell me what was wrong and wanted to replace the electonics. Sheeesh.

Reply to
Craig