240 cruise control

I'm thinking of fitting cruise control to my 1991 240. I was hoping to get all Volvo original the parts (from eBay or similar) as I have heard that all

240's were pre-wired to accept the various bits, can anybody confirm this?

What parts do I need? Obviously the column stalk and the 'brain', is there anything else? I have a wiring diagram but as yet I haven't seen any physical parts so am unsure as to the mechanical connections that may be needed.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
D. Brown

"D. Brown" wrote in news:eCOxf.91453$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net:

Try your question at:

&sidca5324c844da9540f090ae38e37e7dCheers, henqui

Reply to
Henqui

I have fitted the cruise to my -86 240, but had to do all the wiring, althoug that was pretty easy, if you have the harness for it. You will need the brain and the column stalk, as you mention, but also:

  • One or two vacuum/electric switches for brake and clutch pedal (if manual trans).
  • Vacuum pump
  • Actuator for the throttle.
  • A double "wheel" for the cruise and trottle wires. I think the brackets for the brake and clutch switches is factory mounted, and the wiring is as simple as connecting the live-feed to the fuse outlet and ground the other one. (Sorry for my bad english)

Per Mathisen Norway

"D. Brown" skrev i melding news:eCOxf.91453$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...

Reply to
Per Mathisen

Per, thanks for your help, very much appreciated.

Do you have any idea what the vacuum unit does? I presume it's some sort of servo so the brain can control the physical position of the throttle?

Do you know how the brain knows the cars speed? I've never delved too deeply into the electronics on these later fuel injected 240's, but I'd imagine I would need some sort of speed sensor?

Thanks again, Dave

Reply to
D. Brown

The vacuum unit controls the pressure to the servo-actuator via a flexible tube. The "Brain" knows the cars speed from an electric connector back on the speedometer-unit on all -86 and newer models. I think the older ones have an converter connected to the speedometer-wire that make impulses the brain uses to calculate speed.

Per Mathisen Norway

-86 245 GLT V8

Reply to
Per Mathisen

Per, thanks again for all your help. I'll try and find all the parts from salvage yards and make up a kit. I believe the 700 series of that era will use similar components so finding one shouldn't be too hard.

V8!? Cool.... what block are you using?

Reply to
D. Brown

Yes, I belive a lot of the components are identical on both 200 and 700, and some even on Saab.

pump is identical to mine.I use a small-block Chevrolet 350 with a TPI injection unit, aftermarket Haltech computer and a TH700 automatic.It runs pretty good :-) Good luck hunting parts.

Per Mathisen Norway

"D. Brown" skrev i melding news:l_uyf.53977$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...

Reply to
Per Mathisen