95 explorer eb

Where is the egr valve located and is it hard to change? If possible can you give me a drawing or picture.

Thanks

Reply to
rdome43417

It is extremely rare for these valves to require replacement. If you are chasing a P0401, I would suggest performing some diagnostics before parts are replaced needlessly.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I had it on the computer and the mechanic said it was the egr valve. It is a 4.0L. I can get the 2 bolts loose but not the tube. Do you need a special tool for that?

Reply to
rdome43417

I'll say it again..... it is EXTREMELY RARE to have to replace one of these valves. I'm not saying that I'm dounting your mechanic but... it woul be nice to know what code your mechanic is retrieving (P0401 is the single, most common code retrieved from delta pressure feedback EGR systems). The description for P0401 is "insufficient flow" but running symptoms indicate way too much flow. Your tech will not be the first one bitten by insufficient diagnostics.

I don't think a special tool is required for tube removal... but I can't be sure because I've never had to change one of these EGR valves.

If the code that is being retrieved and the test steps performed are a national secret, I'll back off.... right now, I'm just trying to keep someone from spending money in a fashion I see, at the outset, as needless.

Reply to
Jim Warman

You were right it was not the EGR valve, it was the EGR vacum sensor. I replaced it and I am still getting a check engine light. I also am not getting any heat. I have the climate control and bo mater what i put it on,(vent,floor def) i get no heat. I replaced the thermostat and top heater hose, I also added some antifreeze as it was low. One mechanic said he thaught it may be a vacum leak.

Reply to
rdome43417