'95 Grinding in front-end & Stalling when shifting...?

I have a 1995 Explorer XLT. There is a grinding in the front end. We have checked everything we can think of with no answers. We have checked brake pads, diffrential(how ever you spell that) tie rods, wheel bearings... Every thing checks out? Also there is a stall when it shifts, it doesn't shift hard but there is just a stall. We have checked this also...help!

Reply to
ms_curtis

I had a grind in my front end (94 XLT). It ended up being the control arm bushings at the rear brackets. I happened to be on a trip away from any type of professional service when I got totally tired of the noise. I stuffed a bunch of grease into the rubber bushings (shot anyway), and took a length of half inch nylon anchor rope and kept wrapping it and pulling it tight (with a visegrip until it took no more), into the gap between the bushing in front of the bracket and the bracket itself. I figured this would stop the annoying grind until I got home. Not only did the noise stop, but so did the odd shimmy at highway speeds that had plagued me for a few years. After I got home, I have procrastinated doing a real fix for about 8 months so far because my fix seems to have lasted longer than anticipated. Sorry, can't help you with the stall - not enough information.

Reply to
Craig