Brake grinding as 95 legacy stops

I have a 95 legacy wagon. the other day I noticed a grinding noise in the front driver side brakes when the legacy came to a stop. The grinding did not appear to be there through out the braking, just in the last few feet/rotations/etc.

I pulled the tires all the way around and all of the pads (4wheel disc) have plenty of material left.

I removed the pads from the front driver side & the rotor *looks* fine and the pads are fine. After reassembly, the grinding went away for a drive cycle, and then came back again today, a lot louder.

I removed the caliper today & the rotor about fell off the hub.

The Chilton's manual (only one I could find) said that you need to remove the castle nut and then thread bolts into the rotor to push it away from the hub. Mine came right off & I do not know why the castle nut would need to be loosened.

I checked everything out. Reassembled everything. And took the car for a spin around the block

There was no grinding. I haven't had a chance to drive it again.

So, the pads are fine. The rotors *look* fine. And after disassembly/reassembly, the grinding goes away for a period of time.

I've done a bunch of searches on the newsgroup & the web. The only good reason I have come up w/ is from a 1997 post: "rough section on the brake pad" - & that some semi-mettalic pads may be flawed and have *harder* areas than others - sounds like an urban myth to me.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
mp

I only recieved one reply so I am reposting

Does anyone else have any thoughts? thanks

Reply to
mp

My 95 works the same way, the rotor is not held on by the castle nut, the wheel hub is. The rotor is actually held on when you place the wheel and lug nuts back on.

If in doubt, turn the rotors to see if that helps any. Metallic pads have always had a bit of grinding. Depending on where you live, dirt/dust/sand/salt can be a factor. I know winter here in the NE is hell on rotors especially if you have the open alloy wheels.

Reply to
John