96 Explorer starter problem

The car intermittently will not crank. I hear a click but no turnover. It starts fine for a month or so and then I'll go to the store or work or something, come out a few minutes later (or could be hours later) and no starting. No crank, no turnover, just click. The battery has plenty of juice, the battery cables have been replaced (terminals cleaned with lots of goop to prevent corrosion). Ground wire to the starter replaced. I took it to the dealer and of course it worked fine for a week, until I came to pick it up, they pulled it out turned off the engine and since I have the magic touch, it failed on me right in front of them. The mechanic tapped on the starter with a wrench a few times and then it started right up. Said it was the starter, so they replaced the starter motor and core return. Worked fine for two months and then failed again! Any ideas what in the world it could be? Thanks for any suggestions you may have! Greggo

Reply to
mrgreggo

CHECK YOUR BATTERY CABLE AND CLEAN THEM UP

Reply to
eddlover2004

The battery cables were replaced a couple months ago and terminals cleaned up. I'll check them again though. Incidentally when it wouldn't crank this last time, tapping the starter made it work, this after the dealer replaced the starter. Bad part maybe or something else? Thanks!

Reply to
mrgreggo

It's been a while and I don't remember the symptoms exactly but I eliminated a similar problem on my '91 by replacing the ignition switch.

Reply to
Ulysses

Last tim I ran into this it was the starter solenoid (the small cylinder on top of the starter. Next time it won't start, try giving it a light blow with something - but not too heavy something! Another cause I recall is the starter motor brushes. Unfortunately, a light blow also cures that symptom temporarily :-; Start with the brushes - they should be a lot cheaper than the solenoid.

Reply to
Ívar Pétur Guðnason

Come to think of it it could easily be just another bad starter motor. Was it a rebuild?

I had one once that worked when it was removed from the truck--if it was turned in the mounting position it wouldn't work.

Reply to
Ulysses

Thanks for all the tips and replies The Ford service center replaced the starter, I *assume* with a new starter motor as I paid about $300 for parts + labor for what was listed as "starter motor" and "core return". Could be rebuilt for all I know. I have taken it back to the same place since then and they say they need it not to start in order to run diagnostics on it. They've had it for a few days now and of course it starts every time, could be a month before it fails again. Could be tomorrow. I've thought about telling them to replace the solenoid but then again, like the last poster said, maybe it's still the starter motor (I get the feeling they are reluctant to replace it a second time because the 2nd one is on them). Not sure how best to proceed, other than I've got a spare car for now and for the $300 I paid to get my Explorer to start, they need to fix it. I'll post a follow-up in about a year when they finally figure it out :-) Thanks again guys! Greggo

Reply to
mrgreggo

[...]

newman