96 Explorer Still Getting Front End Pop After Replacing...

Upper and Lower Control Arms/Ball Joints and Inner Tie Rod Ends as per dealer recommendation. It seems to get worse as the outside temperature gets warmer. I get it sometimes when I'm braking, accelerating, turning, turning up into the driveway, driving over a not so smooth road. Replaced the factory shocks 50k miles ago with Monroe Reflex. 3 different garages have been unable to pinpoint. May have to start drinking again.

96 Explorer 4.0L 4WD AT 86K mi.
Reply to
Nerdlinger

Hi, I am working on my 1999 Explorer 4wd that has a creaking sound in the front whenever the car front end moves up or down. It does not make noise cold, but increases when temps rise. I can hold the inner tie rod while someone bounces the front end by pushing on the front bumper, and can feels the vibrations at this point more than anywhere else in the front suspension and steering. If I put a wrench on the tie rod and rotate it as would be done when adjusting toe in or toe out, the noise is fairly loud, and the ball socket at the inner end of the tie rod is stiff. I am sure this is where my noise originates on my car. I replaced my rack and pinion today with a rebuilt unit that appears to have used tie rods, and one side is noisy. I have a call in to the rebuilder. If he does not come through, I might replace the tie rods on my old rack and pinion. I noticed you replaced your inner tie rods, but you might still hold one of them at a time, and have a partner bounce the front of the car. The temperature, noise factor in both of our cars is a coincidence. Happy Motoring, Ken

Reply to
mfiles123

My 92 was making a few noises so I replaced the radius arm bushings. While doing so I also used engine degreaser to clean off the engine and all the underside parts of the suspension including all the bushings in various places. You should have heard all the squeaks, pops, clunks, and other assorted noises when I drove it after that. I finally got some silicone spray lube and sprayed the crap out of all the front end bushings - everything made of rubber- and everything else too. That pretty much got rid of all the noises.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher