loud front end on 96 explorer

My wife has a 96 explorer that is loud in the front end. I lifted it up and can find nothing wrong. both wheel bearings seem fine no noise from the front diff. I then checked the rear and there is play but not excessive.

The noise goes away on bumps and left turns?

Any ideas on where to look?

thanks Jimmy

Reply to
James Gillespie

excessive.

No problem. Just keep driving on bumpy roads and keep turning to the left. That should eliminate the problem.

Reply to
Exodus

that goes along with if it hurts when you breath stop breathing

Reply to
James Gillespie
.

loud front end on 96 explorer Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Mon, Sep 22, 2003, 9:53am (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (James=A0Gillespie)

My wife has a 96 explorer that is loud in the front end. I lifted it up and can find nothing wrong. both wheel bearings seem fine no noise from the front diff. I then checked the rear and there is play but not excessive.

The noise goes away on bumps and left turns.

Any ideas on where to look?

thanks Jimmy ..................... Jimmy, Be a little more descriptive in the what the noise actually sounds like.

"loud" ....leaves it open to a long thread full of a lot of different guesses. When the noise goes away was good.....but not quite enough.

Scrib Abell

there are two aproaches to take when giving a customer an "Estimate On Repairs"..........................................

know that you know, that you know what the fix is......and tell him from experience what the "add ons" maybe.......

or.............

LIE.......

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Now, you are beginning to understand. I'm so glad that I was able to help you.

Reply to
Exodus

the noise sounds like a bearing going. I lifted the front end and checked both wheel bearings for noise and play and there was none. I also though power steering and shut the engine off and the noise remained the same?

Jimmy

Reply to
James Gillespie

: > The noise goes away on bumps and left turns? : >

: > Any ideas on where to look? : >

: > thanks : > Jimmy : >

: >

Does the noise change pitch w/ speed or with rpms? Last axle noise I had, it was the pinion gear in the differential.

Dave

Reply to
David Ward

I was suspicious of your left wheel bearing when you said it went away on left turns. It could also be a noisy tire (cupped I mean, and different from the other 3). But if weight transfer from curves changes it as the weight shifts from side to side, it's probably the wheel bearing.

Reply to
Joe

"James Gillespie" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Think radial arm bushings.