'96 Explorer XLT: Best location for tube subwoofer?

I've read this string with much interest. I have a Bazooka 8" bass tube (likely an older model than yours) in my car, and it gives me just enough bass without being overpowering. However, the car its in is a hatchback, so I have it placed against the rear seat to one side. My installer played around with positioning before securing it in place, and this location was the most unobtrusive while maximizing bass effect. He told me that, in my case, the angle of my rear hatch would help "deflect" the bass forward towards me.

In my opinion, a bass tube such as the Bazooka, amplified or not, is best suited for smaller spaces. I also own a 96 Explorer, and given the distance between the driver and any reasonable location of the tube, among other factors (road noise for example) subs of this kind will make little impact. I'm a 40 year old who spent over a dozen years selling stereo equipment, including mobile audio. My recommendation, if you can allow the space, is to get a good sealed box for a 10" sub, and amplify it externally. A sealed sub will give you the "tightest" response for your bass, rather than just boom. The box size, at most, might take up a cube area about 12" behind your rear seat.

I realize theft may be a concern. Does your Explorer have the factory tint? Mine has factory tint, but I wanted aftermarket tint also. The result is an almost mirror-like effect from outside on all but the front door windows (which are only darker because they had no factory tint). Its all but impossible to see inside from anywhere but the front doors and windshield, yet my tint is not darker than legally allowed.

I apologize for the length of this reply, but since I have first-hand experience with both the vehicle and the sub I wanted to weigh in. Best wishes on whatever you do.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

I?ve never heard of two VHF transmitters jamming boom cars. Where did you discover this intriguing technique?

Reply to
robrobrob

I'm a tech, and I've never heard such a thing. I have seen EMP devices deployed that work wonders though.

| >Yeah..use the boomtube for a headrest..that will work. | >

| >> I just installed a Bazooka EL8A 8" amplified sub in my 1996 Ford | >> Explorer. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best | >location | >> for it? Now I have it just behind the rear seat facing back | >towards | >> the rear hatch due to wire length restrictions, but I'm | >willing to | >> extend the wires if there is a better location for it. | >>

| >> Thanks. | | I've never heard of two VHF transmitters jamming boom cars. Where did | you discover this intriguing technique? | | | | | -- | Posted using the

interface, at author's request| Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards| Topic URL:
| Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

John Riggs

Try it..it works. You can simulate it with two hand held radios and a boom box. Simply put the two handhelds on the same channel, key them both and listen to what it does to the boombox. The resulting "beatnote" will be detected in the boombox.

Reply to
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK

...but then, with the amount of wattage necessary to accomplish this feat, won't it be in violation of FCC regulations? I believe it does, since it would interfere with radio and television reception. You see, the very nature of what you propose dictates that it must violate those regulations, and I certainly hate paying fines, particularly large federal ones.

| |

Reply to
John Riggs