Re: Power Windows-96 Ford Explorer XLT

Hi:

My Dad has a '96 Explorer and the power windows stopped working. I checked the 30 Amp fuse under the hood, but nothing. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the problem?

Thanks,

DB

Reply to
KISS5446

Break the concern down with this thought.... either the windows are up but wont go down, the windows are down but wont go up or the windows are at half mast and wont go either way.....

Without a basic knowledge of voltage drop testing, it is hard to explain the steps needed to come to a resolution for your Dads concern.

The very first step is to verify power and ground at the drivers window switch.... I have stopped bringing service manuals home (though I may start again in the future) so I cannot identify wire colours for you.... Important note... if you want to work on a modern auto, have the service manual at hand.... Other owners have purchased one and it has helped them immensely....

If power and ground at the switch are good or bad, report back and we can take the next step....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Hi:

My Dad has a '96 Explorer and the power windows stopped working. I checked the 30 Amp fuse under the hood, but nothing. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the problem?

Thanks,

DB

Did you get voltage at the 30 amp fuse? "But Nothing" Explains very little... Did you get Zero at the 30 amp fuse??? Help us out a bit and we will help you... Follow that red or blue or purple or whatever color wire it may be and see if you get voltage to ground, do you have a ground to the circuit? Go to the drivers side door, as far as I know everything will work through that door. Check for voltage, if the switch is disconected it will stop voltage to all doors. Likewise if you were to disconnect say the passenger left rear door switch you would not be able to operate the window from the drivers main console. In other words, the switch for the door must work properly, if it does not it will not allow the drivers main console to operate the door with the disconnected switch. In more words, if there is something wrong with the drivers switch and or wiring no door may work... It's all there but it may be hard to understand, let me know...

Gerald

Reply to
gerald2003r

Thanks ! Will do...............

Reply to
KISS5446

Thanks, I'll check everything out with a meter today!

Reply to
KISS5446

Thanks, I'll check everything out with a meter today!

How did it go? Waiting to see what you found, Possibly you could add a picture to the forum to show us what you have done or looked at? Need help with the picture idea?

Gerald

Reply to
gerald2003r