96 XLT - Front wheel bearings?

96 Explorer XLT, 4wd. Getting a mild thumping on one side during cornering, 117K miles. Suspect I'll have to replace front wheel bearings (might as well do both).

Anyone done this DIY? Easy enough? How much are the bearing kits? I have the shop manuals, but thought I'd check with the group first.

Thanks,

MIke

Reply to
Mike Mayer

Id like to chime in also on this one....as I am looking to replace the front rotors...and correct me if im wrong.....but doing so...actually I will be removing the bearing pack too??....they seat inside the rotor??.....please clarify if ya can....appreciate it... Joker

Reply to
JOKERKX250

On my 93 Explorer the wheel bearing races were machined into the hub of the rotors....i.e., there is no separating the two. My 93 has ABS rotors. These are different from non-ABS vehicles...which may allow the removal of just the rotor without the wheel bearings. Be carful of the axle nut torque when installing new wheel bearings. Pack the wheel bearings and inner hub with more than enough grease.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tom: The '91-'94 Explorers had a completely different rotor/hub/bearing arrangement from the '95 to current.

-Steve ('94 EB 4x4)

Reply to
SASCHOCH

Up until about '94, front rotor replacement would require a bearing repack. '95 and up 4WD (sorry, I live in 4X4 land and I'm not familiar with the 2WD) have sealed front wheel bearings and the rotor simply slides on and off the front hub. I can't recall offhand but you will likely have to remove the caliper support.

Jim Warman

Thanks to all for the responses. Also studied the shop manuals. Looks pretty straightforward once you get everything untightened.

Mike

rotor??.....please

Reply to
Mike Mayer