Belt whine

Recently, I replaced the serpentine belt, tenioner, power steering pump and pully. Now, I have an intermittant belt whine. Under other cirumstances, it would be a loose belt, but I'm told this has an automatic tensioner. What else could it be? Like I said, it's intermittant and doesn't happen when I go under the hood (naturally). It is especially sounds when I'm in traffic, idling.

Reply to
Zeus03

I get the same thing in our 96 explorer, 4l V6. It's more of a chirping squeak, like it's coming from within the intake mainfold somewhere. I did in remove the serpentine belt and ran the engine for a few seconds and yes, that squeak/chirp was still there. I wish it was the tensioner in my case, much easier to diagnose :-). Anyway, this chirp/squeak goes away after the engine warms up. Someone once said 'flex plate' causing it. I don't know what that is.

The chirp is definitelly periodic, that is, it chirps at half crankshaft speed.

Anyone else fix this?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Mayer

A buddy of mine had a similar moan coming from his 98 Range this weekend. We determined the noise was coming from the inake tract. We ended up wiping down the inside of the throttle body and the "throttle blade". The backside of the throttle blase was covered in crud. After wiping it down the moan was gone. We think air passing over the dirty throttle blade was causing some sort of harmonic vibration.

Reply to
Mike Cuddington