97 Explorer 4W-Low ?

Wife was messing with the heater controls on my 97 Explorer XLT. She switched the 4W from auto to low by accident. When I got in, I switched it back but the 4W and 4W-Low lights in the dash come on in amber and blink 6 times about every minute or so. Any thoughts on this?

tia.......Rich

Reply to
Rich Binkley

If you search you the newsgroup you will find several discussions going back several years on this subject. The light pattern is in the owners manual as indicating that someing is wrong in the 4WD system. There appear to be 3 possibilities 1) Wheel sensors, 2) the motor that changes the settings and 3) the computer itself. This light flashing says that the dealer or other shop can then read code that will direct it to the correct solution. I have a similar problem with mine. I have had it diagnosed several times. At first the shop could not replicate so wanted to replace the computer. Then the caught the motor as the problem.

I doubt if switch> Wife was messing with the heater controls on my 97 Explorer XLT. She

Reply to
Art McClinton

Had this happen when on extended drives. O/D Lights would begin to flash, then after the vehicle sat overnight, the sensor would reset and the lights would not flash. Dealer read the code but said since the problem was inermittant they couldn't find a problem. I bought the vehicle used and since it has 80K miles on it, I told them to change the transmission fluid. They did, the problem has gone away, and not returned...