94 Explorer Emergency Brake Cable

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

The front run of the emergency brake cable on my '94 Explorer recently broke. I have greatly enjoyed removing and installing the brake assembly and now find myself in an awkward position:

I have the brake assembly re-installed with the new cable connected to it, routed through the firewall and 'clicked' into the frame. With the emergency brake pedal fully relased, I cannot re-connect the front run to the intermediate one (there isn't enough play in the cable. Long ago I learned not to force issues, it just gets you hurt or back to square one with another broken part, so I'm looking for some wisdom on this one.

I was thinking about popping the rear tires off to have a look in the drum assembly for an auto-tightener to loosen, but it seems like there might be an easier way.

Behind the intermediate cable (toward the rear of the vehicle) there is another union, but there's no nut-style tensioner on the cable that I can see.

Oh, by the way, referencing my handy repair book, they left out all detail about how to carry out this repair, but instead pointed out that this was a very difficult job and you should take it to the dealership. O.k., I go there for a lot of things, but not a brake cable. :^)

Help. And thanks in advance.

-Darrell

Reply to
Darrell R.

The mystery is solved. Bottom line on this repair: as the Chilton manual describes, you must fashion yourself a tool which holds the forward-wound spring-loaded brake assembly mechanism in place so you can link the brake cable under the vehicle. Once connected, you can remove the tool to take up the tension in the spring-loaded mechanism, then re-attach the assembly to the kick-panel.

-Darrell

Reply to
Darrell R.

Thanks for posting that one, Darrell. I guess no one else could figure it out.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni