97 parking brake

I replaced rear brake pads and rotors on my 97 explorer and parking brake shoes as well. I'm sure I did everything right however even with the parking brake shoes adjusted all the way in , they are still to tight. Will they seat themselves or is there another problem I'm not seeing. A short trip and their very hot. I don't want to ruin the new rotors. Thanks for any ideas.

Reply to
M2FARGONE

Pardon if this is a dumb question - but are you sure it is the parking brake shoes dragging, and not "normal" heat from the disc brakes? Are the shoes dragging when you turn the wheels?

Dave

Reply to
Just Me

I had similar problem on our '96 explorer - very hot rear drums. Turns out the mechanism used to spread the parking brake shoes was frozen with rust, therefore the shoes were rubbing on the brake drum causing LOTS of heat. I mean, too hot to touch the aluminum rims. Unfortunately it was so hot it wrecked the rear axle oil seals causing differential oil to seep out all over the brake assembly inside, causing more trouble. I disassembled the parking brake mechanism and carved/filed/brushed away all the rust at the spreader joint (at top) and replaced the parking brake shoes. I did this on both sides. Then I had a garage replace the rear oil seals. All is OK now.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Mayer

Yes they are dragging........Ive taken them back apart and sanded half of what liltle shoe is there, but still no luck.........this is making me nuts

Reply to
M2FARGONE