Which years are good? Which to avoid?

My 1996 XLT is starting to show its' age. After over 145k miles, I can honestly say it's been the best vehicle I've ever owned. The only major repair has been a transmission failure at 125K. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this vehicle to anyone. If I could find another '96 with 30k miles, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I definitely plan to get another Explorer in the not-to-distant future, so my question is... What years have proven reliable? Are some years or models to be avoided at all costs? Would you recommend your Explorer to a friend?

Reply to
Joe

Since you didn't set any price range, I would go for an '02 or newer, since they completely redesigned. I like my '02 EB after trading in my '98 mountianeer. wth

Reply to
wth

I bought my 96 XLT used, and I'm the second owner. At present it has a bit over 176,000 miles. So far I've had good luck, in regards to upkeep and repairs. I did have to deal with a troublesome source for my "check engine" light coming on, but otherwise nothing too major. Not long after buying it my father and I took it on a trip to Colorado. It performed admirably, and I was impressed. That, and all the other experience I've had with it in the 1.5 years I've owned it would lead me to recommend it to anyone. Perhaps just as important, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one when this one finally gives out. BTW, the Consumers Report magazine for used cars is not a bad resource, as it tends to list quite a few years, and a list of various elements of the vehicle, and the reliability record for that element. From what I recall reading, 96 was a particularly good year for the Explorer. Best wishes.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

randy pavatte

Totally agree. I have an '02 EB, too. I really liked my '99 XLT, but this one is MUCH better.

Reply to
JonnyCab®

I would avoid the 97 SOHC engine, this is the first year it was introduced. I have a 99 XLT and I have no problems with it Basically any Explorer with the OHV V6 is reliable.

Reply to
SizzleMP

Be patient and look for a vehicle that has been properly maintained. This will rule out used car lots and many vehicles you'll find on a dealers lot. If the seller cannot produce records, walk away...

I paid the ultimate price for neglecting proper maintenance on my 91 XLT, and had to replace the engine a few years back... As the commercial says, "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later."

Also, have any vehicle your seriously considering to buy checked out by 'your' mechanic. If the seller balks, walk away.

Don't let emotions get in the way of being a smart consumer.

YMMV

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf