Neons and cold weather

This is a two part question; As some people may know, Ontario got hit with a flash freeze over the weekend, going from 2'C to -30'C with windshield. First question, after not driving my 95 two door Neon since Friday when it was 2'C out, This morning, the door locks where frozen solid from condensation and moisture accumulated from Friday. Any suggestions to reduce the moisture, and or unfreeze the locks? I do not want to have to use a Pen torch to open my car. (had to use it this morning to get in)

Second question, I also have a 2001 neon and find that both Neons when starting in cold weather, make an wining noise after initial start up. The colder it is, the longer and louder the noise is. I have not owned the 95 from day one, but I did the 2001 and it has made this noise since the beginning when the temp is below 0'C. Any ideas?

The 2001 Neon is a SOHC, Automatic transmission with 110,000km, Running Castral SYNTEC 5W30 The 95 Neon is a SOHC, Manual Transmission, with approx. 380,000km, Running Pennzoil High Mileage 10W30

Mike e-mail mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

Reply to
Michael

I don't know too many cars I've driven over the past 35 years that didn't make odd noises and/or run with odd/stiff behavior when they were cold.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

*snork*

That's "with WIND CHILL".

And yes, it's FSCKING cold out. My truck ('89 318 D100) cranked so slowly this morning, it sounded like an old 6-volter.

Hit 'em with denatured alcohol, let it evaporate, then shoot 'em with silicone spray. I like the CRC "Heavy Duty Silicone" in the red and white can, but it's a little tough to find up here. The stuff from Crappy Tire is OK. While you're at it, shoot all the rubber door weatherseals so the doors don't freeze shut.

Depends on the nature of the noise. If it's a sort of decreasing-pitch "honk" type of whine, it's the starter shaft bearings. With extreme cold, the shafts shrink in diameter so they get a little loose in the bearings and vibrate as they spin down.

If it's a steady-state whine, it's one of the rotating components with similar cold-induced noise. Alternator, throwout bearing, torque converter, steering pump...don't worry about it too much.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

It was -40F (and C) here in PA yesterday morn if you consider wind chill. It was -14F on the thermometer. My truck cranked quite nicely with its fill of Mobil 1 5W-30 and sitting in my garage at a balmy 32F. :-)

I really hate this global warming phenomenon as it really frosts me. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Wind chill doesn't really matter to your car all that much. Actual temperature does; if your temps were like Michigan's, it was about 0 degrees F.

Yes, there are products available in small aerosol containers that inject a de-icing formula into the door lock cylinder mechanism. They work reasonably well, and as a side benefit tend to drive the water out that caused the problem in the first place. You'll probably find these all over at the local drugstore or automotive supply for about $2.

I do not

I'd almost never apply a flame directly to the car to thaw it out. As a last resort in a life or death situation, maybe. Otherwise, I'd use the flame to heat the key, and then use the key to transfer the heat to the lock. Not sure this would be a good idea on a key with an embedded computer chip, but I'm also not sure a Neon ever came so equipped.

Really, the best thing to do is buy a $6 mechanic's stethoscope and go hunting for the problem when it happens. My experience has typically been the power steering pump complains loudly at low temps before the fluid starts circulating. You could verify this by moving the steering wheel while the noise is occurring.

380K KM, eh? That's pretty good for a Neon that lives in cold weather.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

It will make it cool off faster when shut it down, but other than that, yes, it has no effect. I never could convince my grandfather of that, however. He was always convinced that parking his car into the wind meant it wouldn't start in the morning.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

The noise could be describled as "steady-state whine". I tried sourcing the noise a couple of times last winter, with the wife starting the car, while I search under the hood. The problem with this method is that the colder it is, the longer it lasts. (I am not a big fan of standing out in the freezing cold, looking for a noise).

the engine near the bottom. What does bother me is that if the car is plugged in, the noise is almost non-existant. So, it looks like the part(s) that are making the noise is close, or affected by the block heater.

Will have have to wait for the next cold snap, as it has since warmed up to about 0'C now.

Mike mlawrenc(at)rcc.> >

decreasing-pitch

bearings

Reply to
mike

Reply to
maxpower

The noise does not get louder when moving the steering wheel. I am kind of doubt full of it being a fluid issue as the 2001 neon has done this since the very begining, and both cars have the proper amount of fluid. I will continue to look into this issue.

Mike mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

Reply to
mike

Reply to