'98 explorer removing spare from under car

Greetings I'm going to remove the spare tire ( hope to ! ), but everything looks rusty , apart from pb-blaster. There looks to be a cable holding it up, I'm assuming. Is this going to be a project ? Is there any insider thing to help out ? Anyone taken one out ? It seems that it was never removed before. Thanks alot.

'98 explorer

Reply to
odyssey

There is a tool stashed behind your rear seat, which fits in a socket, under the bottom of the rear door (it also works the jack). And yes, it's all clearly explained in the user's manual.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Lowering the spare is no problem! But if your cable is really in bad shape, you might lose that spare on the road someday.

Look at the hooked tip of your jack extension rod carefully. It's "staked" inside the hollow shaft, just a couple of big dents hold it in. Ours, also from a '98, fell out and disappeared. :(

Reply to
Beryl