98 Explorer with brake light problem..

My right brake light stopped working, as well as my trailer right brake and right turn signal light. Left is all ok, as is the right parking and the right turn signal.

This may sound stupid, but i haven't checked my Explorer brake light--since neither work i assume it's a wiring problem---but where??

The trailer light harness which plugs into the Explorer wiring harness looks good. At one time, i think the right rear light harness was terminated inside the left rear light assembly--is this true?

i thought i would ask the experts here before i started tearing things apart... my trailer came with a towing package.

thanks, ron

The "E" has been removed from my return email address. Please add an E between the n&t to make .nEt to email a reply.

Reply to
Ron Diehl

You might want to look at the fuse assignments. Sometimes they put put lights on different circuits so that one fuse blowing doesn't take out all of the brake lites.

between the n&t to make .nEt to email a reply.

Reply to
Sy Cohen

Do yourself a favour and check the bulbs first..... One should always start electrical diagnostics at the non-functioning load - here we check for power as well as ground (and bulbs are easy to check, anyway). If you don't have power when you're suppose to, then follow Sys advice and check the fuses next. Remember, this very first basic step is going to tell you if you are checking a power side or ground side problem.

Also remember what Sy said about fuse assignments. To simply delve into the wiring without some basic, logic based steps will usually bite one squarely on the "how embarassed was I?" nerve.

between the n&t to make .nEt to email a reply.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks guys-- My Explorer has a separate fuse for the Left and Right Brake/Turn signals. Both were good, in fact i swapped them to make sure. I checked the bulb in the right brake light and sure enough it was bad. My wife will get on today in town.

It just seemed a little too much to have both brake lights go out at the same time. The boat trailer is 4 months old, but that doesn't mean much...

i'll report back once fixed. ron

for all to read:

The "E" has been removed from my return email address. Please add an E between the n&t to make .nEt to email a reply.

Reply to
Ron Diehl

Replacing the bulb, fixed the Explorer brake lights.

I haven't had a chance to back into the barn and connect it to the boat trailer to see if replacing the bulb in the Explorer fixed the brake light on the trailer...