Rear suspension upgrades

Some time ago, I posted a general question regarding rear spring performance degradation. Due to the overwhelming response, I'm guessing
none of you has had issues in this area.
My rear springs have steadily become worse to the point I took my truck into a spring specialty shop here in Portland.
To my surprise, they told me the springs are fine, however the overload springs I had installed could be causing some problems with allowing the full travel of both sides of the spring to work (ahead and behind of the axle as I had 1/2 length overloads installed).
Rather than replacing my springs, which they said were in just fine shape, they re-arched them and added an extra leaf. They replaced all the mounting hardware and powercoated the original leaves - they look brand new.
The result? Amazing improvement. The travel is excellent, the feel is confident and firm. They shocks feel like they are doing their job again as well. The cheesy overloads are GONE. The extra leaf gives me about 1/4-1/2" lift in the back giving margin for a heavier load (they estimate about 600-800 lbs more). I also have margin for a slightly larger tire.
Recommendation: Increase the load capacity of your Explorer modestly by rearching your springs and having an extra leaf installed. This upgrade is modestly priced and gives back the payload capacity that was robbed by all the sheet metal and glass used to convert the Ranger into an SUV.
Zammer
PS: BTW, I used Benz Spring here in Portland Oregon. Excellent service and quality, very honest people. They've been around this area for a long time.
On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:53:18 +0000 (UTC), Zam Karmen

Maybe yes, probably no. Load ratings are determined by more thasn the weight the springs can carry. Rear axle parts, bearings, stability are some of the things that go into that rating. Upgrading the springs alone will not upgrade any of the other parts, especially the basic design of the vehicle as a whole. Be very careful when exceeding the recommended weight limits. This can have serious implications, both physical and legal.

--
Bill
Replace "g" with "a"