98 Explorer XLT cruise control button block snapped

I guess that I've been pressing the buttons a little too hard on the cruise control because the other week the block that holds the cruise control on/off buttons snapped off the steering wheel and is only supported by the short ribbon cable. I am curious to know if anyone else ran into this problem? Was it an easy fix it your self or did you take it to the dealer?

Thanks.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Kaufman

It would have been a fairly expensive dealer trip, so I just bought a good condition used set on e-Bay. Seems they were about $40 with shipping.

Mine is a '99 XLT, so should be similar.

The procedure -- first disconnect the battery, negative first. This is a very important step -- it disarms the air bag.

Look on the back of the steering wheel - there are two plastic plugs. Remove them and then remove the two screws that are behind them.

At that point, the airbag/horn combination should be loose. Carefully set it to one side --the airbag is still dangerous. The switches are then able to be accessed and replaced.

Enjoy, Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

It would have been a fairly expensive dealer trip, so I just bought a good condition used set on e-Bay. Seems they were about $40 with shipping.

Mine is a '99 XLT, so should be similar.

The procedure -- first disconnect the battery, negative first. This is a very important step -- it disarms the air bag.

Look on the back of the steering wheel - there are two plastic plugs. Remove them and then remove the two screws that are behind them.

At that point, the airbag/horn combination should be loose. Carefully set it to one side --the airbag is still dangerous. The switches are then able to be accessed and replaced.

Enjoy, Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

Mark,

Thanks very much for the description.

The airbag sounds a bit concerning to me. Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall something about needing to let it sit for a while after disconnecting the battery for a capacitor to discharge.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Kaufman

Generally I'd wait about 15 minutes, but I'm one cautious dude when it comes to explosives!

I'm sure it would really ruin my day to blow one up in my face.

Reply to
PeterD

Even if it didn't injure you, i hear they are quite expensive to replace.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Kaufman