Cruise control

Is cruise control part of MOT? Can it be disengaged for MOT?

Reply to
johannes

Why not just fix it?

Reply to
Ted

Not part of mot.

Reply to
MrCheerful

It happens that johannes formulated :

It is not tested during MOT.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Because I want to disengage it for good

Reply to
johannes

A stepper motor activates the throttle setting for cruise control. Many modern cars have push start/stop button, but does not allow stopping the engine at speed because it will take away steering and brake assistance.

cruise control would normally disengage at speeds less than 20mph, or when pressing the brake or accelerator. But it can be faulty, so it doesn't disengage. Don't say that this doesn't happen, because I know it can happen. And the brakes are no match for a large powerful engine at full blast. That's why I'm disengaging the cruise control for good.

He could perhaps have put the gear in neutral, possibly destroying the engine, but that that would at least have saved him. Although a runaway engine can throw out bits and pieces as you sometimes see at dyna tests.

Reply to
johannes

Indeed, which really should make anyone question the veracity of the story. Sounds more like a protracted suicide.

In this age of SPECS cameras I wouldn't be without cruise control.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I'm going to drive real fast and get away with it by calling the police while I'm doing it and claim the cruise control is making the car do

119mph when set to 70mph. But the car's data record shows the pedal was mashed on the metal 5 seconds before the crash. Wimp backed off to 2/3 throttle at 116mph.

"The car was travelling at 116mph with the accelerator pedal fully depressed five seconds before the crash, while no braking was recorded. It continued to accelerate and hit a top speed of 119mph, with the accelerator pedal pressed two-thirds of the way down. Then just two seconds before the impact, at 94mph (152kph), the accelerator was not depressed at all."

If it has drive by wire throttle you can't remove it unless you can hack the code out of your ECU. Just don't switch it on. If you think might be tempted remove the switch, unplug it, it won't auto engage so can't get stuck at 120mph cruise.

Zero risk of ECU controlled engine blowing at redline in neutral unless it has prior internal damage such as a bent rod. Engine won't exceed the rev limiter speed, usually the red line.

With RWD drag race cars if a lightened flywheel explodes, it will go through though the bell housing and can come though floor and drivers ankles. Transverse engine the clutch is usually on passenger side or near middle of car, not a risk to the driver.

If it's just the clutch cover failing on multi-plate clutch, that will wreck the bell housing and your day.

To blow a clutch like that you need a little bit more than a really good chip tune. Like whatever it takes to run a solid 2.9 bar boost from

5500rpm to 8450rpm (OEM redline on this engine is 72000rpm).

Guy that owns this has fixed it back up and built a new engine after a bore cracked.

10.34 @ 136mph 1 mile per gallon FTW
Reply to
Peter Hill

or turned the ignition off

Reply to
MrCheerful

It does say 'A faint beep could be heard as he tried turning off the engine by pressing the start-stop button on the car, which does not have an ignition requiring a key.'

There must be some way of stopping the engine while it's moving?

Reply to
RJH

take the fuse out.

Reply to
MrCheerful

There is: you keep the button pressed till the engine stops. It is in the owner's manual. The long press avoids someone fumbling around accidentally stopping the engine when driving along.

Reply to
MrCheerful

You need to get them sorted, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Given the totally unsubstantiated nature of the claim and, indeed, evidence to the contrary, this would seem to describe your reaction. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Every cruise control I've seen defaults to off. Any faults on it an it simply doesn't work. Anything else would be silly.

If any maker made one which could 'take over' and not be killed by pressing the brake, they'd have been sued from here to Mars in US courts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A separate fuse specifically for cruise control? Really? 20 or 30 years ago maybe.

A drive by wire (ten years old) daily driver has a total of eight fuses for engine management, none of which are allocated to any cruise control function, nor would they be capable of being allocated as after the signal leaves the steering button switch and connects into the indicator stalk module it becomes just another message on the canbus.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Yes if it has an ignition key. But that car had a push start stop button; sometimes they don't allow turning the engine off above a certain speed, because the car would loose servo control.

I have experienced a badly behaved cruise control myself, and just miraculously escaped a collision. That happened in a parking house with many cars around, and the engine went on full blast. However, I knew the drill without the necessary thinking time. But that was the last straw,it scared the life out of me, so now I want to rid the system; I never use it anyway. As a temporary measure, I removed the fuse.

Reply to
johannes

Sure sure, that's what you'd expect. That's how it "should work". Oh I love that expression: "should work".

But I've experienced differently, the cc stepper motor turning the throttle at full blast at just entering into a parking space.

Who knows why? Radio interference? Extra terrestials :)

Reply to
johannes

Nope, try it & see. Brakes are solid and just been at MOT. Have you ever forgot to lose the handbrake; car still going, somethow...

Reply to
johannes

How can you be certain it was the cruise control?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)