99 Explorer Transmission problem - anyone out there with similar problems?

I've got a 99 Explorer with 50K miles on it. Recently, while reversing, a heard a clunk and the truck now cannot reverse. Going forward is still OK. Brought it back to a Ford dealership who said that the reverse band is broken, and the low gear band is worn. It seems to me that a transmission should last longer than 4.5 years and 50K miles.

Is this a common problem with Explorer transmissions? If so, does Ford have any secret warranty for this problem? I've got the 4L OHV engine with the 5 speed overdrive transmission.

Thanks for your feedback.

Reply to
C L

This seems to be a frequent problem, as I've seen on the web! My problem started, today, when backing out of a mall parking lot; when I drove to the mall, the car was running fine. The car made a clunk sound, but I was lucky to backout. Now, I can no longer go into reverse, but forward is still OK; 1st &

2nd gear don't work. Mine is a 96 Explorer, but I only have 64K miles on it.

How much did the broken reverse band and worn low gear band cost (parts & labor)? I have a V8 with Overdrive.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Reply to
CCV

I just had my tranny completely overhauled at a local shop,it's a '99 sport that never towed anything,the truck has only 61k on it ???? ford wanted 3k to fix it,and that was my dealer,I really let them have it verbally...but in the end they wouldn't budge. my tranny guy said it's very common,and showed me all fords on his lifts....... 3 lifts,3 fords {2 explorers and an expedition.}.he said they put a very weak tranny in there,I'm really sorry I didn't get a manual,they are built pretty tuff.

Reply to
anonymizer

When I brought my 99 Explorer to a local transmission shop, they wanted CDN$1K (US$750) to fix the reverse band. They didn't quote the cost for low gear band since they didn't take the transmission apart and the truck was still OK driving forward. After sqwarking at the Ford dealership, Ford Canada offered to give me a factory rebuilt transmission at 25% of the cost - still a hefty CDN$1K, but better than paying for the whole thing. Since this was the same as getting it fixed by the local shop, and this was supposed to be a factory rebuilt transmission with a 2 year warranty, I went for it. The surprise was when I picked up the truck: the reverse took about 2 to 3 seconds to engage. I brought it back and complained, and the dealership said Ford specs says it can take up to 5 seconds to engage when you shift into reverse gear, and that this was "normal"!! My guess is that, in order to fix the reverse band problem, Ford has decided to lower the pressure so that reverse engages veeerrry gently and slowly! Really disappointed that Ford did not elect to find a proper fix to this problem, and chose to apply another band-aid solution instead.

"anonymizer" wrote in message news:iWVXb.63592$ snipped-for-privacy@sea-read.news.verio.net... > I just had my tranny completely overhauled at a local shop,it's a '99 sport > that never towed anything,the truck has only 61k on it ???? ford wanted

3k > to fix it,and that was my dealer,I really let them have it verbally...but in > the end they wouldn't budge. > my tranny guy said it's very common,and showed me all fords on his > lifts....... > 3 lifts,3 fords {2 explorers and an expedition.}.he said they put a very > weak tranny in there,I'm really sorry I didn't get a manual,they are built > pretty tuff. >
Reply to
C L

I paid $1700. for my rebuild,they rebuilt mine in the shop. I lost drive and reverse. After a long drive with no symptoms at all during that drive....I came up to a stop sign,and when it was all clear stepped on the gas and listened to what sounded like broken pieces getting sloshed around.I was able to use

2-low to finish the 20 mph 2 minute drive to work.

the only symptom I did notice was 2 days earlier {before tranny failure} I installed a tranny temp gauge a few years ago,and during the severe cold we had this winter,it never goes beyond 110 degrees. However.....2 days before I broke down,it reached 160 degrees,and that is a summertime reading on my gauge. I looked at the fluid levels and they were perfect ?

hey....$h_t happens......

Reply to
anonymizer

Ermmmm..... the low band IS the reverse band. However, the band is only applied in reverse and manual low (selecting position "1" on the shift quadrant). During normal, full automatic operation, a sprague (over-running clutch) is used.

Jim Warman

Our '99 Explorer Sport (4x2, V6, automatic) only has about 40K miles and we began having transmission problems three days ago. I was taking off from a complete stop when it suddenly (and very forcefully) slipped on the change from 1st into 2nd. No warning lights came on, but it continued to do it, always from 1st to 2nd but not as forcefully as the very first time. I took it home and parked it until my hubby could take a look, and when he checked the fluid, it was low, yet there were no signs of leakage. We added about a quart and a half and when we drove it again, the problem was still there. I was told that some Ford trannys get trashy and flushing it can sometimes fix a problem like this, so I took it to a lube shop and had it flushed and got the filter and fliud changed (for $125). The owner told me beforehand that sometimes it does fix the problem, but in my case, it sounded to him like the clutch might be going out. I decided to try it anyway in hopes of avoiding a larger repair bill. After having all this done, the problem is still there, only now the "Overdrive is Off" warning light has started flashing. Our Explorer has auto OD, with a button on the shifter to turn it off, but it doesn't respond when we try to turn it back on. Before, if the ignition was killed with OD in the "off" position, it would automatically switch back on upon restarting, but now it doesn't. Is there any way this could be some kind of a problem with a computer sensor or does it sound like the tranny needs to be repaired or replaced? What's more, upon inspecting the tranny from underneath, my husband discovered that coolant has been leaking from around the headgasket. While it never ran hot, we knew we were loosing coolant, but couldn't find where it was leaking from until now. Seems it is only visible from the underside. We recently changed the oil but it wasn't watery and it looked fine. The freeze plugs also seem to have leakage around them, possibly some kind of StopLeak radiator sealant. Could the two problems be related? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
CarlaJo