99 XLT rattling, maybe heat shield?

I have a 99 XLT SOHC with only 24,000 miles on it. Recently I started noticing a rattling noise similiar to loose nuts and bolts coming from under the truck when it's in gear and idling. It sounds muffler related like a heat shield. I plan to look underneath later today with a friend who will keep the truck in gear at idle. Does anyone know where I should look first or if this is a common occurence?

Reply to
SizzleMP

on my '99 sport sohc,the heat shield's clip's came undone,I simply clipped it back on and all was fine.

Reply to
anonymizer

Look at the heat shield that is clipped on the transmission. It's used to shield the heat that the catalytic converter gives off. Mine was rattling and I had to rebend the clips and it stopped.

Reply to
Chris

Ok, thanks for the responses. I'll look at it tomorrow.

Reply to
SizzleMP

I looked under the truck and I found the heat shield on the tranny (passenger side) loose so I just pushed it back on. I'm pretty sure this was the culprit. I'll know when I drive to work on Tuesday. Thanks again.

Reply to
SizzleMP