Am I going to be ok if....

I've not taken any vehicle on any LONG trip before, but coming up this spring I'll be traveling on a trip that will total (including trip home) approximately 6100 miles. My '02 Explorer manual says engine can go 5000 miles between oil changes. BUT, this traveling all being done within 9 days... am I ok to wait for an oil change "right" when I get back? or must I be looking for a place to change on my trip?

Reply to
Tim

I would change it when I get back home, since most of what you are doing is highway miles. wth

Reply to
wth

Tim - I hope you have more than one driver for that trip. To travel 6100 miles in 9 days you will be driving roughly 9-10 hours a day depending on speed. If you are driving this yourself, don't worry about the oil because you will have wrapped your Expl around a tree somewhere. I have driven a 10 hour day before and there is no way I would do that 10 times in a row.

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

You need to work on a farm. During the planting season, I've set in the same seat for 10 straignt 12 and 14 hours more times than I care to remember. Usually you ride till it rains enough to make you stop, it gets to dark to see (and even that depends on what you are doing), or something breaks.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

One can only opine why Tim will be covering that many miles in so few days...... he is certainly not going to see much (other than the line down the middle of the road) and there doesn't appear to be much time left for any serious visiting.

Holding off on the oil change (providing the level is checked at every fill), I see little chance for accelerated engine wear that will seriously impact the life of the motor. Do the trip, change the oil when you get home and try your damnedest to avoid becoming a statistic.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well I was way off on one point in my figuring up the miles (that's what I get for trying to use an atlas and measuring distances between points). I used map software and it fitured it to be WAY less. Trip duration, total that is, will be a little over 4500 miles, depending on what side-trips are included. Trip is to Grand Canyon, then on to Vegas, LA, and San Francisco and back...

Reply to
Tim