armrest broke

anybody have this happen to them? I have a 98 explorer and the plastic cracked in the middle of the armrest and therefore does not hold anymore weight. The design is horrible. Am I left with replacing the whole part?

Reply to
south paw

This is on the Explorer FAQ web page at

Located exactly here:

Al Williams

Same vehicle - same problem. I took mine apart and used JB Weld to "glue" the plastic parts together. Easy fix and it has held up to a year of abuse.

Reply to
JB

Once you've fixed it with glue or whatnot, put your owner's manual under the armrest for support. It'll keep it from breaking again.

Reply to
Dan Gillespie

Yeah, I had exactly this same thing happen -- the vinyl cracked right at the spot where my elbow normally rests when I'm driving. I got by for a while by taping the area with some clear packing tape, but when the summer hit and things got hot (and the tape backing started melting) it wasn't a good scene, and I ended up replacing the lid.

Maybe you might try one of those vinyl repair pastes, but judging from the way the cracks in mine spider webbed after initially appearing, I doubt it would last for long.

I tried to get just the vinyl covering from the dealer, but they only sell the lid as a whole -- cost me around $100 as I recall. The parts guy at the dealer told me that it happens all of the time with Explorers. Lid replacement was easy -- open the lid and there are 4 phillips screws, took less than 5 minutes to replace (after swallowing hard while coming up with the $100...)

Reply to
Steve Reppucci