Are Explorer underpowered?

ANother Newbie question:

I've got a Ford Explorer Sport 2000. WIth the most basic 160 hp engine.

I often feel like the engine is strainnning to pull the weight of the vehicle.

As compared to my wife's corrola for example. Though less powerfull, the COrrolla i ssubstantially lighter and accelaretates effortlessly compared to the Sport. I used to have an old Jeep Cherokee, 190 hp I think, and that thing could accelerate very nicely.

Is the Explorer with 160 hp engine underpowered as compared top other comparable suv's out there? Or is it something to do with that specific engine, or am I off the mark here?

Cheers!

Reply to
thebloag

Although the 160HP V6 is a tad underpowered, you'll be pleased to know it is pretty much a bulletproof engine.

Reply to
Mikepier

I have the same year model and motor with a manual tranny. I haven't noticed any issue like you mentioned. I have 75,000 miles and it still gets

18 mph in city/highway driving. I have changed the tranny fluid twice now and the radiator coolant once. My motor does sound like a box of rocks part of the time, but other than that it runs fine.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

I had heard that before I made the purchase, but I am glad to see it confirmed! How many miles do you have on yours?

Reply to
thebloag

They do feel a little underpowered. I have a 1994 Eddie Bauer. Bought in

1999 with 80,000 miles on it and now I have 195,000. Still in immaculate condition and running even better than when I bought it. I am happy to know that I have a very reliable engine when I hop in this vehicle. Enjoy the fact that you will have to do minor maintainence to your vehicle.
Reply to
Jon Sobieralski via CarKB.com