'97 Explorer flood caused oil leak

OK, here is my problem. I'm an idiot and accidentally drove my '97 AWD V8 XLT (which was in great condition) into 2 feet of water and got stuck. No, I didn't know it was 2 feet, and no I should not have driven into it not knowing how deep it was. With that out of the way, here is my problem ....

After cleaning up the car (gutted and cleaned the interior, cleaned off the mud from the underside) I have developed an oil leak somewhere. Initially when I got home after the incident I noticed a leak at the bell housing where the engine attaches to the transmission. Looking around a bit, I feared the worst - rear main seal. After some more reading, it sounds like any number of leaks could end up down there. The leak did stop while the car was sitting, and wasn't enough of a leak to register as low oil. It sat for a week while I put it back together and got it cleaned up, and when I run it now I get some smoke from the engine compartment. I haven't crawled under again yet to see if the leak is still under there.

Any ideas what the water could have caused? I'm taking it to a shop to check it out tomorrow. Unfortunately (ironic) I've never had any major work done on it, so I don't have a "trusted" mechanic.

-Joe

Reply to
Joe

Well, I guess nobody had any ideas, but I was told it was the oil pan seal, not the rear main seal, and was also told required removal of the engine, which I confirmed reading through messages. It is leaking at the back side, right where the old back is rounded. I'm trying some stop leak, and then am going to switch from 0W-30 to 5W-30 or something thicker. Hopefully those two things will buy me some time. Also might try to rig up a small deflector so that the oil doesn't drop directly onto the catalytic converter.

If I do end up having the work done I can save a little money by having him go in from the bottom, remove the front diff, rack, and exhaust, but for the different between $1000 and $1300, I think I'd be better off going the engine route and having everything done that I can while it's out. Any recommendations if I go that route? He already recommended rear seal, and I was thinking valve covers, and not sure what else would be easy to do at the time.

-Joe

Reply to
Joe