Bad headlight switch

I recently had my headlights stop working and traced it to the switch. I opened up the switch and found that the contacts had heated up enough to melt the plastic around them which then covered up the contacts. I was able to cut away the melted plastic and clean up the switch enough to get it working again. Now this is on a 96 that I have owned for about 3 years. I always drive with my lights on since I commute over two lane country roads. This is about 45 minutes each way. It seems that the switch should not heat up enough to melt the plastic. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Dave

Reply to
David Wells

You have the stock bulbs in the lights???

Jim Warman

Yep.

Reply to
David Wells

Interesting read...

I had the same problem and I started ntoicing the problem a couple of weeks after replacing the bulbs that were brighter -NOT Stock bulbs

Replaced the switch - dealer did it.

Reply to
huckfinn