Bad Tires?

Hi There-

I've got a 2000 XLT and got 5 free Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires at 35K miles due to the whole Firestone calamity. Over the last 20K miles or so, the driver's side front tire has developed a WHOP WHOP WHOP sound that is loudest at 35MPH and is noticable until about 65MPH.

Rotation seems to help for a while, but the rotated tire eventually starts to make the sound too. I've had it aligned as well.

The Ford dealer told me one day that this was not unusual for the ATX tread, since it's a mud/offroad tire. I was happy with that, because I can deal with an annoying sound if it's not going to kill me.

The next day, he tells me the belts in both driver's side tires are bad and I should "think about some new tires". Now this is the same guy who told me everything was normal and my tires "look just fine" the day before. So I'm skeptical and want to verify his claim that the RT/S tires can make this sound, or if I may really have bad tires! Thanks! troy

Reply to
tfandango

M Hoaglan

Reply to
Jonah

Reply to
Big Shoe

Geez, sounds like I should have stuck with the Firestones! :)

Reply to
tfandango

I have an Exp Sport XL with the same tires. I have been thinking I have bad front bearings from all the noise. I am going to be pissed to find out it is these sorry ass Wranglers. Mine are no where near low on tread. I have had them on about the same 35,000 miles.

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

There are tires, and then there are Michelins. 'Nuf said.

Reply to
Michael MacMahon

Check around and find a tire shop that has a *road force* balancer. If you've got slipped belts, or any other defects, they will show up there. H

Reply to
Hairy

Ahh, that sounds like a lead! Thanks a lot!

Reply to
tfandango